OSR or cover crop

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonforeman

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
The summer gliw has been very slow here this year with only a 1 full super and a part super on each of my main hives. Mostly not sealed and it has stayed like this over the past month.

With the nice weather I have not extracted yet BUT on my way home I passed a small field behind a hedge of what looks like OSR out in full flower of a mustard cover crop maybe. Never knew it was there until now out in flower.
Will this mess my summer crop up as had a look in the supers and I am going to need to add another to all hives.

I have marked the frames that were sealed but the ones that were 3/4 full before this came into flower, will they be OK as runny honey or set quickly?

I guess you need to ascertain exactly what the crop is and be prepared to take appropriate action. Most Brassica types tend to crystalise pretty quickly. Why not extract the 'older' sealed stuff? and check it all with refractometer .

If it's a yellow flower it will quite likely be mustard, which is in flower at this time of year. If you can walk over to the field and have a look at it.
If it is what is in the photo below it's white mustard.

1596702787168.png

Does white mustard have the same tendency to granulate as OSR? In my bit of the S Midlands there are a lot of similar brassica cover-crops with white, rather than yellow, flowers - but I assume it's just another strain of white mustard. Mine have a large area close enough to walk to

Latest posts

Back