OSR Honey stores

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

I picked up a 6 frame nuc about 3 weeks ago, they are in the hive and I have had to put a super on as they are expanding rapidly now.

My query is regarding the honey stores. I would assume a large amount will be OSR at the moment as there are several fields within foraging distance.

Everything I have read says leave the first super in place as it is theirs and only remove any subsequent ones.

I am aware of the problems with granulation, if this super remains in place are they going to struggle to use it later in the year.

Michael

Don't assume. Large areas of OSR have already gone over. A super added now could be field beans, should a better return be available for the bees.

Indeed they may rapidly find there is a dearth of forage. Everything I have read certainly does not advocate leaving that first super on. Some may have done but certainly not all. Maybe you need some more reading material?'

Beekeeping is about managing bees. Decisions of this nature need to be kept in context. Watch the signs and act appropriately; you may wish to feed sugar syrup in lieu of honey. That super may be the only honey you get this year; it may not. If left on, you may get none - it has happened before.

Make decisions on the ground, with all the local, available information to hand. There are no hard and fast rules about this. OSR honey is likely to granulate quickly - some I have beeen extracting has already started the process.

You may like to ponder how a large number of beeks over-winter on a single brood box and consider how this ties in with your readings. Like I said, very little set in stone.

RAB

Thanks, if there is one thing I have learnt about this is that nothing is set in stone.

Books and people have so many different opinions and ideas!

Confusingly the May edition (p9) of the BBKA news states:

"Keep the super that is immediately on top of the brood chamber (Super 1) in that place for the season - it may become the feed super for next winter."

My question is still if I follow this guidance can they cope with OSR honey.

So they advocate placing subsequent supers above the others? Or do they then always pace third and later supers above this first one? I nearly always place the second super below the first.

As I said earlier, it may become the feeder for the next month or more. Looking as far ahead as winter - any super full of stores would do, if one were to leave one on over winter. As a matter of fact, I rarely leave a super on over the winter period.

They collected it; they are not so stupid, generally, to collect rubbish.

I will be interested to read this stuff put about by the BBKA. - sounds like a load of old tosh, really - mainly aimed at those who are otherwise unable to manage their bees themselves? If I did that, perhaps 25% of my honey crop would not be extractable using my honey spinner.

RAB

Latest posts

Back