OSR help!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Compostcritter

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have just noticed that the field directly opposite is just starting to bloom with OSR, how long have I got before it clags up the supers? I am sure this may have been covered before so apologises in advance. Any advice on OSR vs honey welcome

It can happen in a day or two if you are that close and the weather is warm 18c upwards. You will have to heft them to keep an eye on how they are doing. If they are a big colony then adding another super with foundation could be a good idea.

I have just noticed that the field directly opposite is just starting to bloom with OSR, how long have I got before it clags up the supers?

I CAN ONLY WISH... CLAG UP THE SUPERS:icon_204-2:

I have just noticed that the field directly opposite is just starting to bloom with OSR, how long have I got before it clags up the supers? I am sure this may have been covered before so apologises in advance. Any advice on OSR vs honey welcome

quickly pack your hives and move them away

I know loads of beekeepers that would love that problem .

What do you mean by 'clag up'? Do you mean the honey granulating?

That may well depend on how much there is and the temperatures.

Best to extract as soon as the OSR starts to go over, if not some before if appropriate.

You must be having better weather in your area to get worried about quickly filled supers.
Ours have been on the OSR for the past 2 weeks and 1 hive has a half filled super and the others,virtually empty.
Next week looks to be warmer but then again, don't they always say that.

@ Finman Why do some beekeepers love OSRand others don't?
@ O2O yes I did mean granulate, luckily I have been in the position of not having to deal with granulated OSR before, but feel that this maybe the year! If I do miss the vital moment extract will the supers be ok for winter stores rather than syrup?

At the risk of getting this thread moved to the political and pesticides section, I will say that I have never over-wintered on a large quantity of OSR. Even though ivy granulates as well, I would prefer it as there are far less pesticides in ivy honey!

Fair point! The farmer was spraying four weeks ago, I did want to go and tell him what I thought of this, but decided that it was not worth an argument and he is only trying to earn a living.

Fair point! The farmer was spraying four weeks ago, I did want to go and tell him what I thought of this, but decided that it was not worth an argument and he is only trying to earn a living.

Was that to thank him for planting the OSR right next to your bees :spy:

all three of my hives are on OSR again this year (in the field with it) been flowering for a couple of weeks and it does not seem to be having much effect.

They are deff brining in pollen off the OSR and there is nectar coming in but not even looking at the supers, nothing like the fabled super full in a couple of days stuff.

I think its very temperature dependant so I wouldn't worry to much.

I think you may have missed my point. I have no (current) issues with spraying - it will only affect local bees. My issue is with those long-acting systemics which are reducing the arthropod population without regard to any need at the time they are acting on the non-target species.

As far as I am concerned the honey bee problem is only the tip of the iceberg!

Someone needs to do some research on what's different about OSR nectar, my bees will fly over every other type of plant to get to the OSR its like a drug to them

@ Finman Why do some beekeepers love OSRand others don't?
[...] will the supers be ok for winter stores rather than syrup?

I think you've answered your own question there: some beekeepers want a good honey crop, but others - who are recovering from recent losses, or are simply building-up colony numbers - would prefer to have as much unproblematic natural winter stores as possible.

LJ

all three of my hives are on OSR again this year (in the field with it) been flowering for a couple of weeks and it does not seem to be having much effect.

They are deff brining in pollen off the OSR and there is nectar coming in but not even looking at the supers, nothing like the fabled super full in a couple of days stuff.

I think its very temperature dependant so I wouldn't worry to much.

Hi flemage,
You'r the man? Sorry, have not looked at your profile. Good game guessing if a writer is a man or a woman - frequently wrong. However, in this case 'you are the man' to tell the forum what colour pollen the bees are bringing in from the OSR!

Hi Beano

nothing too earth shattering its ..............yellow can be a bit brownie yellow.

and yes I am a man, not sure a woman would have gone with 'flemage'...... they would have had more sense......it was late and I couldn't think of any thing else.........

Someone needs to do some research on what's different about OSR nectar, my bees will fly over every other type of plant to get to the OSR its like a drug to them

sugar content. Research shows bees trade distance for sugar concentration...

Latest posts

Back