OSR and flying distances.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeeneil

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 plus 23 that I maintain for clients.
I have been offered a site 0.65 mile from a large area of just starting to flower OSR and was considering moving 2-3 colonies but......... the new site is 1.88 miles from where the colonies are now and the OSR is 1.48 miles from the original site.
I'm happy with moving the bees but what do you think the chances are that when the bees are foraging they will realise where they are and return to their original site?
Distances thanks to Goggle Earth.

Last edited:
If they're sealed in for a couple of days should be OK... Round here only 12C this weekend, 16C towards the end of the week so probably not warm enough for proper nectar production for the next day or two thus you won't miss much of it if you go ahead today/this evening IMO.

If they're sealed in for a couple of days should be OK... Round here only 12C this weekend, 16C towards the end of the week so probably not warm enough for proper nectar production for the next day or two thus you won't miss much of it if you go ahead today/this evening IMO.
:iagree:

I have been offered a site 0.65 mile from a large area of just starting to flower OSR and was considering moving 2-3 colonies but......... the new site is 1.88 miles from where the colonies are now and the OSR is 1.48 miles from the original site.
I'm happy with moving the bees but what do you think the chances are that when the bees are foraging they will realise where they are and return to their original site?
Distances thanks to Goggle Earth.

no OSR within range of ours this year sadly (Sussex too) and considering moving some hives for a decent spring crop....about to post a post on field beans

Latest posts

Back