OSB

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Hi all I have some OSB left over from another project and I'm thinking of using it to make up some demaree boards.

Anyone think of any problems using this material?

OSB is generally pretty water resistant except around any cut edges: do you have any issues with the resins/glues etc that are used in its construction?

OSB is generally pretty water resistant except around any cut edges: do you have any issues with the resins/glues etc that are used in its construction?
Ok that's good to know. They would only be in use for swarm season which would be "dryer" then stored for winter. However I'll work out a way of sealing the edges.
Thanks for the reply.

Use OSB3. OSB2 is not water resistant.

It's heavy, needs a sharp blade.
I use 9mm OSB3 a lot for roof covers: WBP ply is no good.

Seal all edges with thinned yacht varnish or 5 year woodstain..

OSB3 is great stuff, i know of loads of it that been used outside for way to long and is in better nick than it has any right to be, my old ws doors are clad with it was meant to put something over it about 10 years ago

I’ve used osb for crown boards for years with no problems. If the edge was to be exposed, as with demaree boards (unlike crown boards, which are protected by the roof) then I would run some paint round the edge..

Attachments

• E4FAD013-C534-43B3-8538-A8D9FF0912AA.jpeg
    E4FAD013-C534-43B3-8538-A8D9FF0912AA.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 29
Thusly.. these have lasted for years with just a couple of coats of Garden Shades on the cut edge.. 👍

Attachments

• 1B347765-9B69-4577-A64D-A00AA5815E4A.jpeg
    1B347765-9B69-4577-A64D-A00AA5815E4A.jpeg
    960 KB · Views: 18
I suspect once the varnish degrades with UV as is inevitable, you may regret the choice of OSB2 rather than 3.

But as I have never tried, that is an assumption rather than a fact.

(And no, I will not bother)

Latest posts

Back