Organising to Wear a Suit of Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks Chris

Totally agree with you on battery farming, but doesnt the conditions that the animals are kept in play the main role on whether or not they are ethical or not? i also have a deep love for the other species that share our planet with us but just dont beleive that what i am suggesting is tantamount to badger baiting or going out in a boat and finning 300 sharks (I am a member of Sharkstrust. Check their website out at www.sharktrust.org)

Unfortunately I dont yet know enough (or anything) about how bees "Should" be kept so cant have an informed opinion about whether or not these guys are Farmers or jst VERY keen hobbyists or what?

Isnt every beekeper who produces honey to sell "A Farmer" to some extent? How many hives can you have before what you are doing becomes classed as overly commercial and starts to become a "Battery" type set up?

I never presume to think I am morally strong enough to pass judgement on someone elses ethics.

Oh, and one mans heretic is another mans champion.....

thanks Chris
How many hives can you have before what you are doing becomes classed as overly commercial and starts to become a "Battery" type set up?

Personally I don't feel it is possible to keep bees in "a battery type set up". The point about battery farming being the animal is captive in a restricted space, kept unnaturally close to others etc.

Bees are free to come and go, make the choice to move on (swarm) if they feel they are too crowded.

I am sure somebody will have a definition of what is "commercial" or "farming" of bees but IMO the number of hives certainly wouldn't make it into a battery operation.

For example you might keep 30,000 hens free range or 10,000 in battery cages. it is the method of keeping the livestock which makes it a battery not the number. Again just my opinion.

Personally I don't feel it is possible to keep bees in "a battery type set up". The point about battery farming being the animal is captive in a restricted space, kept unnaturally close to others etc.

For example you might keep 30,000 hens free range or 10,000 in battery cages. it is the method of keeping the livestock which makes it a battery not the number. Again just my opinion.

But what about the horror stories we hear of beekeeping in the States?

Reportedly, hundreds of hives driven thousands of miles in the course of a year, force-fed on monocultures?

Sounds to me as inhuman and exploitative as battery hens.

Dusty

In France we have an interesting way to define the keeping of bees by law.

Up to 39 hives - part of smallholding or for family. Small annual tax per hive no other charges.

40 to 199 hives - commercial smallholding but not enough on its own to make a living. Small annual tax per hive and partial social charges.

Over 200 hives is considered professional farming and subject to full social charges and taxation.

Important thing to know about France is that it is social charges that bite the hardest, normally with a minimum of 23% of income starting from the first € you earn, no allowances as in the UK.

My point about battery farming was simply to point out that farming had nothing to do with ethics or best practice.

Chris

But what about the horror stories we hear of beekeeping in the States?

Reportedly, hundreds of hives driven thousands of miles in the course of a year, force-fed on monocultures?

Sounds to me as inhuman and exploitative as battery hens.

Dusty

It's true. And do not forget the inevitable trailerloads of bees overturned onto the highway and foragers left behind when their hives are packed up and shipped from almonds to strawberries hundreds of miles away.

We do not have that in Hawaii to speak of, but it's a sad situation in my opinion.

sorry to have gone OT.

I am trying to arrange to wear a Mantle of bees to raise money for cancer research.

This is a copy of some imformation that may help. If you get a few stings you can easily scrape them off,and the worst that could happen is you die,but your going to die sooner or later anyway.

Philip McCabe's World Record Bee Beard Attempt 2005

http://www.gbbg.net/recordattempthow.html

I think that must be the same information I saw a while ago. I think the main problem was the weight of the bees.

There's more here http://www.gbbg.net/record4seasons.html

Sir Quej.
This forum is called the beekeeping forum. Ergo, it is about beekeeping. What you are rattling all our cages with has nothing whatsoever to do with beekeeping. So why don't you just fade away and find a forum called 'people who like to draw attention to themselves by doing something pointless and dangerous in the name of charity'. FYI I will not look at this thread again and I would urge beekeepers no to respond further.

Sir Quej.
This forum is called the beekeeping forum. Ergo, it is about beekeeping. What you are rattling all our cages with has nothing whatsoever to do with beekeeping. So why don't you just fade away and find a forum called 'people who like to draw attention to themselves by doing something pointless and dangerous in the name of charity'. FYI I will not look at this thread again and I would urge beekeepers no to respond further.

Not very friendly! Guy may have a crackpot idea, but he's going about finding out about it in the right way, shouldn't knock him for that.

Hmmm perhaps I just wasted electrons typing that as Keith wont be reading it!

Thanks Keith, youre a real gent.......lol

Sir Quej.

Best get rid of that "Beekeeping Off Topic Chat" section Admin; its clearly not allowed!

Foolish Idea, well and truly confined to the rubbish bin !!!

Hi all

Back in April you may remember I had this idea of wearing a mantle of bees to raise money for charity. Trying to be sensible, I spent time researching the stunt and registered on here to ask for advice/opinions.

It's safe to say the idea was as popular as a Man Utd Fan at Elland Road (i.e. Not very, for all you non football mad beeks).

Some gave sensible opinions, some not so sensible, a couple were down right aggressive (such was their passion for the hobby). There were even a couple who thought it might be a possibilty (even if a little odd).

I did explain that me and my son were intending to become beeks as well and would be using our own bees.

I am now a bee keeper. Even though i have only had my own bees a couple of weeks, I have been a member of my association since just after my initial post and have spent time in and around bees at the apiary and with other VERY experienced beeks.

Even over this short period of time, it has become perfectly clear what a bad idea it was. My own experience (although very short) combined with the advice and opinions of everyone on here has made me realise that this stunt has no place in the world of Honey Bees and it has been well and truly binned as charity stunt.

Hopefully this will please everyone who correctly pointed out the error of my ways.

p.s. There were a couple of people who said they would give to my charity to stop me doing it...... You know who you are and I have told McMillan Cancer Research to expect your cheques......:)

I told you I will give money for you not to do it and will donate at the first opportunity.
So pleased..... Well done!!
Enrico

Latest posts

Back