Organic Lawn Mower

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By organic....do you mean something living, which will eat the undergrowth for you? If so the answer is nothing really, no livestock will clear the type of tangle on your photo. You need a few good mates and a day, get it all slashed down and burnt and then you can keep on top of it with an old rotary ungeared mower which you'll probably pick up for £5. Once you start mowing something like that it encourages grass to grow and discourages the rest which can't cope with being constantly cut down.

Frisbee

I posted this on the other thread .......

"A farmers flail mower, followed by pigs would soon sort that out.

The pigs will grub up all the roots and fertilize it, leaving it ready for a cultivator and suitable seeds.

Then eat the pigs."

I'm all confused now ! dunno which thread I'm supposed to be posting on !

JC.

It's the same question...........but asked in a different way in a different forum..........I got to this one first, you got the other.

Pigs will do an admireable job of rooting things up, but it's not as simple as putting them in a field and letting them get on with it - a bit like the assumption that you put bees in a box and then turn the tap on and out comes honey....... There's the small matter of regulations for a start, are you having weaners to grow on? Where are you going to get them from? What about feeding them? they won't live on bramble roots. How are you going to get them slaughtered? How are you going to transport them to slaughter? Who is going to do the butchery? How big is your freezer?
Does your head ache even more now?

A days work and a cheap mower would be my way forward.

Frisbee

Well me and my Grand-Dad used to to it 50 years ago. I suppose I do miss him.

..... and you're no help ;)

By organic....do you mean something living, which will eat the undergrowth for you? If so the answer is nothing really, no livestock will clear the type of tangle on your photo. You need a few good mates and a day, get it all slashed down and burnt and then you can keep on top of it with an old rotary ungeared mower which you'll probably pick up for £5. Once you start mowing something like that it encourages grass to grow and discourages the rest which can't cope with being constantly cut down.

Frisbee
Goats take some beating for clearing down to ground level , then pigs will do the rest:)
John Wilkinson

Rotate the goats through a small number of apiaries and forget the pigs sounds good, but I don't know anything about goats except for a funny story about an incident in Uttoxeter market earlier in the year. The owner apparently was totally shocked by the incident and the perpetrator/penetrator found himself in prison. He, should have stuck to mowing the grass :)

Unrelated, but I've always fancied trying a goat curry, might have unwittingly eaten one, but there we go.

can we get to reality please

pigs yeah great etc etc have you got a herd number. you need one, secondly whats the fences like cause pigs will happy dissapper through your so called fence and as for goats please do me a favour , what a waste of time they will be , firstly any thing less than 8 foot high chain link fence with steel posts and they will escape easily also goats dont like grass, to much gives them bloat. they only do tips and by that i mean the tips of every single flower bramble and your nieghbours gardens/allotments, if you want to sort out your paddock step one is to bung a farmer £20 and get him to top it or flail mow it this will get rid of some but not all brambles after that what you do is find another sheep farmer and put sheep in there for three weeks with a three week gap and then back for another three weeks, but where is your water supply coming from , far far to many issues stick with getting a strimmer to make a path and after that try sowing wild flower seeds and when you get to see a bramble in the field cut it back

Unrelated, but I've always fancied trying a goat curry, might have unwittingly eaten one, but there we go.

Goat is quite pleasant to eat, similar but denser than lamb and less fat. If you were presented with some cooked on a plate and told it was lamb, you wouldn't question it.

Frisbee

I've always fancied trying a goat curry, might have unwittingly eaten one, but there we go.

It ain't goat curry, ....... It's Curry Goat !

Available daily at :-

Dutch Pot

427 Dudley Road
Birmingham
West Midlands
B18 4HD

0121 558 5414

Very tasty, and they do Mutton Soup as well.

Thanx again for all the replies :)

Looks like an organic lawn mower is out of the question :(

But I like the idea of planting up the paddock with wild flowers :cheers2:

Note: This thread was about keeping the paddock under control for the future, the other thread was letting you know I had one, with pictures and how I intended to get it into a usuable state :cheers2:

Yours Roy

You're welcome Gingernut.

I might go and get some Curry Goat later .............

........ It's a Caribbean dish btw, not Indian .... which is why it's called CG not GC.

Looks like an organic lawn mower is out of the question :(

Using livestock to graze/clear land is always more trouble than it's worth :)

Note: This thread was about keeping the paddock under control for the future, the other thread was letting you know I had one, with pictures and how I intended to get it into a usuable state :cheers2:

Too many lunchtime G & T's is the problem I think, it befuddles the brain.............(mine was clear :))

Frisbee

Not much bant (as they say in Lancashire) in late hay , fit only for bedding :leaving:

John Wilkinson

Some land banking company has just started clearing land abutting on my place(completely ring fenced for 40 years )about 6 acres Cheshire. What a pity, it has been a wild life haven for all those years , never had as much as a dog walk on it :(. Still suppose it's progress uh!.

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back