Orange pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Still haven't found the source of this pollen but it is coming in by the bucket load. Far too much for dahlias!

Attachments

• IMG_20200828_123207206_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20200828_123207206_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 80
Still haven't found the source of this pollen but it is coming in by the bucket load. Far too much for dahlias!
My bees have been bringing in pollen that colour too. I have dahlias, rudbeckia, echinacea and globe thistles flowering in the garden.

I was wondering about field scabious or yarrow then I thought – what colour is Montbretia X Crocosmia pollen? Loads of it about all over the place.

How about Japanese Anenome. Loads of it this year and popular with lots of insects. 20200828_133755.jpg

I also noticed it today at couple of my hives. Also no idea where it’s from so I’ll definitely be watching this thread...

I also noticed it today at couple of my hives. Also no idea where it’s from so I’ll definitely be watching this thread...
There is no way this is a garden flower. I have five hives with every other bee bringing it in. It has to be a field weed or a crop

Got the same here Eric, too orange for gorse, too dark for dahlia. Pointed it out to my landlord on Wednesday, this and balsam coming in by the bucketful.

Got the same here Eric, too orange for gorse, too dark for dahlia. Pointed it out to my landlord on Wednesday, this and balsam coming in by the bucketful.
No gorse here at all. Plenty of field maize, oh how I wish it gave nectar!!!

Among garden flowers could be Helenium, Marigold or Nasturtium; wildflowers could be last of the Ox-eye daisy, St john's wort, Yarrow, or if slightly darker mustard / orange colour, Goldenrod

Just found this.....
But more surprising is a spectacular luminous orange pollen seen towards the end of August and early September.
A suggestion is that the bees could be collecting this from Poplar leaf rust fungus (Melampsora larici-populina)

In a short article by W. H. Lang. written in 1901 observations on how honey bees use rust fungus as a pollen substitute are described.

Just found this.....
But more surprising is a spectacular luminous orange pollen seen towards the end of August and early September.
A suggestion is that the bees could be collecting this from Poplar leaf rust fungus (Melampsora larici-populina)

In a short article by W. H. Lang. written in 1901 observations on how honey bees use rust fungus as a pollen substitute are described.
Ah! We have a row of poplars not too far away! I will go look at them tomorrow!

It was just a random find on the google.
As I was checking to see what my white pollen was and this article popped up.
Hope your detective work pays off.

Here is a photo of the article.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
I think the bright orange pollen I have here is from purple loosestrife, it grows in profusion around here, and I only have poplars near one apiary.

analyse it! when you see a pollen grain under a microscope it is amazing ... other than that there are books and charts giving colours and flowers for times of the year

It is unlikely to be a single traceable pollen, most likely it is a mix and just happens to be that colour. Pollens are a fascinating subject. The best money you will spend will be on a microscope and kit then take the BBKA microscopy exam, be careful....... its addictive :)

I was wondering about field scabious or yarrow then I thought – what colour is Montbretia X Crocosmia pollen? Loads of it about all over the place.
That's yellow pollen, my bees have been collecting that but I think it's finished for the year now, was surprised to see a few bees take nectar from the flowers this year

Lots of yellow/orange pollen on this crocosmia

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back