Orange pollen? Lime or Ivy....?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyPicklechin

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 odd
Foragers have just started bringing in a lot of bright orange pollen after our London rain in the last few days....

Pollen charts say its probably common Lime...anyone have any views?

Mine are bringing in orange pollen as well and I have noticed that after the rains around London the Privet seems to be getting ready for another round of flowering not as profuse as during June or start of July but all those flowers wilted in the heat so they are probably going to give it another go now after the rain. I also noticed some other plants that had flowered early this year have flower buds developing and these flowered last year in August, so it seems there might be a little flow on in the next week or two which might top up the supers or brood boxes and also give the nucs a little boost

Thanks both....

Privet sounds like a reasonable guess....maybe its all three (lime, dahlias, privet) but from my pollen chart im still guessing lime....privet seems a creamy yellow colour?

I am 2 miles ATCF from Kew Gardens...I wonder if dahlias could be part of the story?

Really pleased we might have a flow on...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Maybe, they flowered here back in June and early July, bees did really well on them....maybe there will be a mid to late August flow on the lime trees at Isleworth.

I've used this tool here and found that its the rare "sarcastic lime" (takus pissus minimalis)....

OK...so some of us London limeys are not up to snuff on our pollen and the associated "knowledge" on flowers and flow. The below link seems a a decent tool for the newbie but obviously does not give the accuracy required to meet the expected high standards of BKF-BS fact dissemination ....my selected inputs on the tool were not accurate enough for my guess that ' summer' and 'orange' does not determine 'copper beech', 'rock rose' or 'asparagus' and might be 'common lime'. In fact (as my earlier assessors know) lime is most prevelent in June and July but due to the weather here in the SE was done by end of June. Again I throw myself to the high brow beek-teacher-wolves here in beginner's corner...

http://www.sheffieldbeekeepers.org.uk/tools/pollen-chart/

Using the chart (or even the force and all-seeing oracular prognoses of the Supreme Bee Keepers Council), anyone care to offer what they think my witnessed orange pollen might be?

Last edited:
I've got bright orange pollen coming in too - based on that chart, maybe Ivy?

OK...so some of us London limeys are not up to snuff on our pollen and the associated "knowledge" on flowers and flow.

Next time you are in the area take a look at the Limes in Bushy park. There are quiet a few of them. Great to be keeping bees anywhere near there.

Crocosmia?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It is far too early for Ivy in this neck of the woods ..

Probably here too - as a first year beekeeper I'm too panicked to look at the plants; all my time is spent try to plan for the next imagined crisis :p

Next year I'm hoping the anxiety abates and I can start to actually look and think about what's going on beyond the hive itself.

I did wonder if it might be buddleia as I noticed some round our way with a lot of bees on and very orange centers to the flowers.

I've used this tool here and found that its the rare "sarcastic lime" (takus pissus minimalis)....

OK...so some of us London limeys are not up to snuff on our pollen and the associated "knowledge" on flowers and flow. The below link seems a a decent tool for the newbie but obviously does not give the accuracy required to meet the expected high standards of BKF-BS fact dissemination ....my selected inputs on the tool were not accurate enough for my guess that ' summer' and 'orange' does not determine 'copper beech', 'rock rose' or 'asparagus' and might be 'common lime'. In fact (as my earlier assessors know) lime is most prevelent in June and July but due to the weather here in the SE was done by end of June. Again I throw myself to the high brow beek-teacher-wolves here in beginner's corner...

http://www.sheffieldbeekeepers.org.uk/tools/pollen-chart/

Using the chart (or even the force and all-seeing oracular prognoses of the Supreme Bee Keepers Council), anyone care to offer what they think my witnessed orange pollen might be?

What a great chart:thanks:
Tilia cordata, the small-leaved lime, is supposed to flower in late July. There is also Tilia platyphyllos, and the hybrid Tilia x europaea, , the lime most commonly used in towns and gardens. Who knows how the trees respond to hot weather and London air?
I also am getting orangey pollen, I put it down to Crocosmia, it grows like a weed where I live.

Probably here too - as a first year beekeeper I'm too panicked to look at the plants; all my time is spent try to plan for the next imagined crisis :p

Next year I'm hoping the anxiety abates and I can start to actually look and think about what's going on beyond the hive itself.

I did wonder if it might be buddleia as I noticed some round our way with a lot of bees on and very orange centers to the flowers.

Unless you are buying equipment you can not think ahead with bees.. each week will present you with a different goal/problem that you will have to deal with next week (or tomorrow)... just enjoy what you are doing and go with the flow...;)

The ivy is only days from flowering here getting frames ready with foundation strips today

Next time you are in the area take a look at the Limes in Bushy park. There are quiet a few of them. Great to be keeping bees anywhere near there.

Thanks E....I will...I often ride through there. As mentioned I'm not far from Kew Gardens 1.5 to 1.6 miles ....Maybe I'm getting some of the girls visiting there?

What a great chart:thanks:
Tilia cordata, the small-leaved lime, is supposed to flower in late July. There is also Tilia platyphyllos, and the hybrid Tilia x europaea, , the lime most commonly used in towns and gardens. Who knows how the trees respond to hot weather and London air?
I also am getting orangey pollen, I put it down to Crocosmia, it grows like a weed where I live.

Thanks for the help on my learning about Lime, M. I love this lark as I get to connect with all sorts of natural phenomena.

Hi Guys, If it is day-glo coloured orange it could be Hawkesbeard which is a weed and plenty of it.

Latest posts

Back