Or - we can get it right .... (14x12 boxes)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little John

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
50+
If you checkout the Dave Cushman site for BS frame dimensions, the 14x12 frame drawing gives the 14x12 frame height as being 304mm - which sounds right to me. (even though, strictly speaking, 12" = 304.8 ~ 305mm)

However, in http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/nat1412.html the height of the 14x12 box is also given as being 304mm (Wot - no beespace ?). Actually the sums are right, it's the answer which isn't. " 3/10 - stay in after school ... "

But - just before RP is sent to the dunce's corner - checkout: http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=856
where the brood box height is given as 12.5" - that's 317.5mm - or a 'beespace' of 12.5mm(sic) !!

Now, there's no case for saying the 14x12 box will probably be placed at the bottom of the stack - because it also might NOT be. I'm running a couple of 14x12 5-over-5-frame nuc stacks at the moment (which are brilliant), and am currently making more of them - so need those box heights to be correct (I'm using 313mm for an 8mm beespace). Hence this post.
LJ

I'm not very good at filing away drawings/sketches of what I make, for future reference so when I start on some new bee box, I start with the frame dimensions, add beespace where necessary to arrive at cutting dimensions. This is all very well but occasionally I make the same type of error that RP made (225 + 89 = 304, he forgot to carry a 10 over!!).

You just have to remember to double check all your arithmetic - just be thankful we're working in metric and not imperial! Those of you of a certain age might remember sums at school like "How much would 3 tons, 2 cwt of coal cost at 7 shillings and 3 pence a hundredweight?"

CVB

My situation this morning was that I didn't have a 14x12 frame handy - and I couldn't remember whether they were in fact 12" deep, or whether they were actually 300mm deep - and we just call them 14x12 ...

Like most people, I guess - 150 and 225 are hot-wired into my brain ... but not the depth of 14x12. So - I looked-up my tried and tested sources of reference - only to have my brain-cells tweaked. Sure - easy enough to make a mistake - I've done it once or twice (- or rather - many, many times).

The ones I used to get flummoxed over were: "If it takes 3 3/4 men 5 1/2 days to dig a hole 4 ft 6 in deep, how many men ... "

Eh ? 3 3/4 men - how does that work then ?

LJ

I'm not very good at filing away drawings/sketches of what I make, for future reference so when I start on some new bee box, I start with the frame dimensions, add beespace where necessary to arrive at cutting dimensions. This is all very well but occasionally I make the same type of error that RP made (225 + 89 = 304, he forgot to carry a 10 over!!).

You just have to remember to double check all your arithmetic - just be thankful we're working in metric and not imperial! Those of you of a certain age might remember sums at school like "How much would 3 tons, 2 cwt of coal cost at 7 shillings and 3 pence a hundredweight?"

CVB

£22 9s 6d ???

That would have been a years salary for a beefarmer in 1952!

Yeghes da

Spotted the mistakes years ago and fried my brain as two guys could not possibly get it wrong but they did. Any consolation I make my boxes 325 mm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back