Opening hive in morning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolite

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Is there any issues opening a hive in the morning or do people tend to wait until afternoon?

If the temperature is warm enough bees will be up and about in the summer long before you😉 there’s no problem!

When they are busy. If they are all at home they get a bit...... Tetchy?

Any time between 8 am and dusk for me.
A good weather day is best, when the bees are flying. However sometimes you don't have that luxury and need to go in when all the bees are at home.
If you have a virgin queen in a hive, don't inspect on a good weather day between 10 and 6 in case the queen is out on her nuptuals and would get confused if you were at the hive crashing about when she attempts to return.

I look at the entrance for a few minutes before deciding whether to suit up or not, if its busy with plenty of action then it doesn't really matter on the time, I'd dive in. mostly though I inspect later morning, early afternoon, I never inspect after I;ve just eaten or had a drink, just in case they find some of the smell offensive.

That's great, thanks all. I got in around 10 am last week and all went smoothly.

Normally it is too cold in the morning to open the hive. It is good too, if sun shines over the hive and over the hive frames.

Back