Opened the hive and....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mr. Pea and Drinkstone,
Mr. Pea I owe you an apology as I was thinking last year's opening of hives were Christmas for OA and not spring 2012 thereof my confusion. Your clarifying message arrived alas too late. It's all positive ... so far. My sincere apologies again.

MrPea lost his bees winter 2011-2012, but this year they've made it. That's what's written in the OP.

:confused: I'm not quite sure why you're being so abrupt. I think you're just coming through your first winter with bees, so I can see why you are pleased with yourself, but there shouldn't be any need to be critical of people who lost their bees a year ago. It's one thing to learn from your own mistakes, but you can also learn from other people's mistakes.

I managed to get ours through to Spring 2012 and it looks as if they're all okay so far this year, but there are still a few weeks to go. I'm delighted, but I know quite a few beekeepers with tens of years' experience who haven't been so fortunate.

Hi BeeJoyful,
Just dealt with it. Thanks

It was 15d in Sussex today, so had a check on the hives. All but 2 ok- one very small and prob Qless.. the other drone laying. The rest will get a 1:1 syrup feed tomorrow as they are beginning to get cracking.
Newbees... Water is very important at this time of the bee cycle.
And don't forget that when you look in the hives- if any have solid capped honey areas from last year...you can scratch with hive tool to encourage bees to eat it up... make room for those eggs!

It was 15d in Sussex today, so had a check on the hives. All but 2 ok- one very small and prob Qless.. the other drone laying. The rest will get a 1:1 syrup feed tomorrow as they are beginning to get cracking.
Newbees... Water is very important at this time of the bee cycle.
And don't forget that when you look in the hives- if any have solid capped honey areas from last year...you can scratch with hive tool to encourage bees to eat it up... make room for those eggs!

Thanks for the advice Heather. Much appreciated.

Well I know that mine garden hive is still alive.

They were out before I was this morning and stayed out until about 4.30.

A little harsh perhaps?? My bees didn't make it last year - I had one hive and it didn't make it...I know plenty of beeks whose hives didn't make it last year (and this year!), experienced or not. I had two hives at the end of last year and they've both made it through to this year much stronger...that's all I'm saying, it's a happy and positive thing...I don't understand your comment??

Congratulations on finding your colonies alive and well. It is a wonderful feeling, and I, for one, feel happy for you. Of course it's perfectly clear that sometimes people lose their bees despite having taken great care. But this does not diminish one's joy at one's colonies surviving, and more than that, surviving well, as yours evidently have.
Thank you for sharing the lovely news with us. Keep a good eye on them in the next four weeks, and good luck!

Last edited:
Back