Opened the hive and....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPea

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
...well, last year I opened the hive and found all of the bees on the floor very much no longer alive. It's warm outside so just popped off the lid (didn't pull any frames) to see what's going on, and to put a littl fondant in a bag on top, and low and behold, both hives are quite full...like 11 seams of bees. Have I missed something? Aren't they supposed to be all dead? Have I actually just brought 2 hives through the winter? There are some capped stores on the tops of some of the frames, I don't know about the bottoms of course, and I've no idea about brood or whether there's a queen in there...but there are actual bees...alive ones at that!!

That's pretty much what I saw too!! Awesome!!

Btw...that clear crown board is awesome...I need one, hehe

I remember my first winter when i went through with one colony.
I was really chuffed when they were alive in the spring

Not sure I had much to do with it but felt I must have done something right.

Good excuse for a p*** up

Not had my roof of yet but lots of bees taking pollen in on sunday if it is warm this weekend i will have a quick look.

Just enjoy until the weather gets properly warm for an inspection. That sound of bees humming is them welcoming spring in for us!

That's pretty much what I saw too!! Awesome!!

Btw...that clear crown board is awesome...I need one, hehe

Yes, they are superb, about £5 more expensive that regular wooden ones, but totally worth it, I've been able to check the condition of my hive constantly over winter without disturbing them or losing any heat.

Yes, they are superb, about £5 more expensive that regular wooden ones, but totally worth it, I've been able to check the condition of my hive constantly over winter without disturbing them or losing any heat.

I use the clear crown boards. You do still disturb them when looking, by letting in light, but as you said, no heat loss. They can be prone to condensation apparently if you dont insulate your hive but I havnt had any problem with that so far.

I have three hives and had a sneaky peek last week and all are still "with bee". I came away feeling really posative.

Last edited:
I use the clear crown boards. You do still disturb them when looking, by letting in light, but as you said, no heat loss. They can be prone to condensation apparently if you dont insulate your hive but I havnt had any problem with that so far.

I have three hives and had a sneaky peek last week and all are still "with bee". I came away feeling really posative.

I don't get that condensation thing, you'd get the same condensation as a regular crown board, it's just more visible as it doesn't soak into the wood.

Also light really doesn't seem to bother them too much.

Oh I know...next week gets rather chilly again. But I didn't make it past the middle of January last tme, so very pleased to make it this far :willy_nilly:

...well, last year I opened the hive and found all of the bees on the floor very much no longer alive. It's warm outside so just popped off the lid (didn't pull any frames) to see what's going on, and to put a littl fondant in a bag on top, and low and behold, both hives are quite full...like 11 seams of bees. Have I missed something? Aren't they supposed to be all dead? Have I actually just brought 2 hives through the winter? There are some capped stores on the tops of some of the frames, I don't know about the bottoms of course, and I've no idea about brood or whether there's a queen in there...but there are actual bees...alive ones at that!!

Hi Mr. Pea,
Are you really saying that you found a dead hive and months later you went to feed it? Well, it's a wind up isn't it!

Oh I know...next week gets rather chilly again. But I didn't make it past the middle of January last tme, so very pleased to make it this far :willy_nilly:

Hi Mr. Pea,
What you are really saying is that your bees did not make it and you don't really know what you are doing.

Hi Mr. Pea,
What you are really saying is that your bees did not make it and you don't really know what you are doing.
I really don't see what Mr Pea said or did to be ridiculed, all the poor guy said was he lost his colonies last year and this year he is pleased to see they are all alive and well. It would come as no surprise if Mr Pea declined to share his news again.

Hi HM Honey,
I like the term 'with bee' but I am sure you know baby boys are not much good in this game.

Obviously its my unmatched prowess as a new beek.

Actually I just fed them like crazy before winter and kept fondant on them all the way through, I also situated them in a warm and windless spot with plenty of early forage nearby.

Hi IGPebble,
Impressive, but is it skill or luck?

Beeno, it's obviously more luck than skill.... Us newbies arent experienced enough to claim its entirley down to skill.

I have put my success so far this winter down to

1) 30% lots of good advice from experienced beeks on here
2) 10% overdoing it with fondant and autumn feeding
3) 60% pure beginners luck

Luck is not a bad thing you know.....

Latest posts

Back