Open Mesh Floors

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karsal

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 Pay*es Poly Hives 7 Poly Nucs
I know a lot of people bang on about Open Mesh Floors are the best thing for bees but I thought I'd share this photo to prove that some colonies of bees hate the idea of an OMF.
This colony was in and eight frame poly nucleus hive on four full frames of bees and BIAS going into winter and this is what they have done to the draughty OMF that they obviously hated.

Attachments

• Propolised OMF (706x1280).jpg
    Propolised OMF (706x1280).jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 225
I'm not a fan of open mesh floors...………...

Im moving back to solid floors.seem to be getting less winter losses over last couple of years.my only losses this year are drone layers.

Im moving back to solid floors.seem to be getting less winter losses over last couple of years.my only losses this year are drone layers.
I hear of alot of beekeepers doing the same

You can simply keep the inspection board in place over the winter to stop draughts.
I leave mine in with a small gap for ventilation and remove and clean them periodically. No sign of bees not liking the OMF.

Not a great fan but I like the fact a lot of rubbish and damp drops through. I once got hold of a load of old boxes for free and placed omf on top of these then the hive, that worked well. Other then that there good when moving hives as you can then get away with just covering/mesh holes in crown board, but not a lot else

I know a lot of people bang on about Open Mesh Floors are the best thing for bees but I thought I'd share this photo to prove that some colonies of bees hate the idea of an OMF.
This colony was in and eight frame poly nucleus hive on four full frames of bees and BIAS going into winter and this is what they have done to the draughty OMF that they obviously hated.

Top effort. I have not yet seen closure to that degree published anywhere so one
can only conclude top bees with access to lots of resin when needed.
And hammers that last nail into coffin for OMF use, something which has never made
sense.... even for the tropics.

Bill

And hammers that last nail into coffin for OMF use, something which has never made
sense.... even for the tropics.

Bill

In Australia OFM has controversy situation. An Australian researcher has written, that if it is 40C in shadow, the soil temp aroud hives may be much more higher. Then OFM let the heat in, and makes it difficult to keep hive temp in 35C. But with solid floor the air in front of the entrance is as well hot.

Simple answer is to fill the open mesh floors with clean garden compost and have a nice Bio floor!

I wonder why some beekeepers refer to the OMF as a Varroa floor???

Chons da

Simple answer is to fill the open mesh floors with clean garden compost and have a nice Bio floor!

yeah! Normally we clean the floor, but he clean it this way. Clean compost into the hive, and do not forget his Rhubard Innovation.

I have read that compost process begins first with fungal and mold break down. Bacteria comes later. Then worms. Which kind of compost?

Last edited:
I compared the two floor types for a couple of years before concluding that for my bees at that apiary, which at the time was quite exposed to wind, solid floors were better. They have moved to more sheltered places now.

However, with poly hives and solid floors I have found they get wet over winter so outside frames have some mould and floor quite disgusting. Could be that bees were not "cosy" enough (double BB). With wood hives and solid floors I did not get that.

Having seen ITLDs latest floors which are about one third mesh and two thirds solid I'm coming round to the view that he might be onto something.

yeah! Normally we clean the floor, but he clean it this way. Clean compost into the hive, and do not forget his Rhubard Innovation.

I have read that compost process begins first with fungal and mold break down. Bacteria comes later. Then worms. Which kind of compost?

Finnie my little snow pixie...don't you grow rhubarb that far north?

For beehive floor covering we use our own special rhubarb leaf compost......

What do you put on your compost*... well rotted FYM... fresh horse ****?????

I prefer custard or Best Cornish Clotted cream on mine!!!

* enriched with Groundhog droppings!!!

Yeghes da

I've noticed with my poly hives, when I put the varroa tray in to monitor during winter I get a lot of moisture on the tops. Bone dry when I remove. Interested to hear of the mesh/solid combo.

Can we see photos of the interior and entrance , it would be interesting to see how free they were with propolis generally. Cant say ive ever had a colony put propolis on a mesh floor even at very exposed apiaries:.

Finnie my little snow pixie...don't you grow rhubarb that far north?

For beehive floor covering we use our own special rhubarb leaf compost......

What do you put on your compost*... well rotted FYM... fresh horse ****?????

I prefer custard or Best Cornish Clotted cream on mine!!!

* enriched with Groundhog droppings!!!

Yeghes da

If I were a woman, I would understand your interest on these things.

Latest posts

Back