Open mesh floor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephenw

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
The hive I got hust had a floor and entrance reducer should I get an open mesh floor? Just wondering as I am seeing what I should get in the thornes sale.
Any other suggestions on what I should order?

Thanks

Stephen

Hi Stephen

Bit of an open ended question, but taking a guess from some of your previous posts, I'd suggest on top of the OMF

Supers (3 per hive)
Frames for brood box and supers

If not got already
Crownboard
Queen Excluder
Smoker

And not necessarily from the sale, but need to get
Protective equipment
Books
Foundation
A second hive (if using standard nationals, I'd go for the Th**nes Bees on a Budget which has a lot of the above included)

Sure I've forgotten things but these are all pretty essential

Thanks well I have at the minute

floor, entrance reducer, brood box with frames, super with frames, crown board, roof, 20 super founation, 20 brood foundation, hive tool, smoker, bee suit so I suppose I would need to get 1 or 2 supers with founation and Open Mess Floor?

Stephen

Not everyone uses them, but the smart money seems to be on OMF, including mine.

Thanks. So does the open mesh floor let the varroa mite fall through?

Stephen

no, it does not save your bees from varroa. In windy place the hive consume douple amount of food.

I would agree, but it is great to keep an eye on whether the little sods are increasing in numbers.

I am on a windy site, so take care to put a block of wood across the back of the floor (where you pull the floor out to have a look) to stop the wind tunnel effect on the hive.

Thanks

I know it doesnt stop varroa. but helps reuce and show you mite numbers.]

Thanks again for your help

Stephen

Back