Open Mesh Floor, problems

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi,

Has anyone else had problems with bees clustering UNDER an open mesh floor? Have tried shaking them back in and replacing varroa tray for a day or so but the cluster returns as soon as I remove the tray. Any thoughts appreciated.

Check your queen is not under there for some reason? Just a thought...

PH

have you got the block in if so they may go under when they carnt get in i had the same problem with one of my hives the other year sorted them selfs out.

If it is a cheap OMF then likely there is no alighting board on the front? I had something similar with bees collecting on the frame legs. Added a bit of ply as an alighting board and whilst small numbers still congregated at the entrance sometimes they didn't wander off down the legs. May of may not help?

I agree with Rosti.

I added a landing board and the problem went away. I guess they come in a bit low but can smell the colony through the floor so hang around underneath.

Check your queen is not under there for some reason? Just a thought...

PH

I've been waiting to see eggs after a new queen (post AS) took up office. The hive was working fine - good nature, acting with purpose, stores coming in, polished cells ready for eggs... but none seen. It all seemed Queenright.

A test frame had produced no new QCs, so PH's above thought sent me out into garden last night, for a quick look under the hive to check the OMF.

Very nice example of new wild comb, plus a small cluster of bees!

I've just come from having a very careful look throught the wild comb. Bingo -eggs, larve and a very nice looking new ginger queen. She has been rehoused into the BB( I'll worry about clipping and marking later). She must have ended up under the hive after she returned from mating.

Thanks PH - a good example of this forum working at its best

Many thanks for suggestions. Have added alighting board. Most bees now finding their way in

Latest posts

Back