Oops - “wet” OSR supers

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Stedic 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I was searching for my drawn super combs at the apiary. Turns out, after extracting 4 supers of OSR honey in May, I forgot to return them to the bees. Any left over honey in the comb is now like rock.

Am I right to think that if I spray the combs with a little water the bees will clean out the honey and use-store it?

If so, when would you do this? Will my summer honey be at greater risk of crystalusing if I let the bees mix in this stuff? Should I feed it back once I remove any summer crop? Before winter to use as a ‘nadir’? Or should I keep them separately as use these first next spring?

Swarm 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
more than 30, less than 100.
Do you have any young/small colonies you are not expecting a return from this season? They could have it and clean it up for you.

Stedic 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Do you have any young/small colonies you are not expecting a return from this season? They could have it and clean it up for you.
Good idea, thanks. I have one that is a bit weak. Could use them. Presumably I need to be careful not to induce robbing when doing it?

Also occurred to me that I could soak frames in water to soak the honey out, but this seems a bit of a waste of the bees can make use of it.

Latest posts