Only.......

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haughton Honey

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Lots of Commercial hives.......
.....seven weeks to go until Mid-Summer Day.

Ho hum.

Looks like it'll be a fairly short season this one folks.

is that when the bees go on strike then ?

Is it likely to be a poor swarm year then?

Some of my bee's don't seem to think it is.

and I am up to my ears in queen cells:smash:

One colony on double Nat brood full of bees two weeks ago brood - lots of it - in all stages, no queen cells, 2 supers.

last week, 7 days exactly later, 40+ queen cells in all stages:mad: Sealed cells removed (some cut out and put into an incubator) and colony split into 2 x 6 frame nucs and single brood box, all 3 left with 2 open queen cells.

today, both nucs beautiful sealed queen cell. Nat Brood a nice sealed queen cell where I expected it AND 20 more clustered in the center of another frame.
the whole frame was removed.

Wish I knew what they were up to, they must be using young larvae to get to sealed cells in 7 days, but why?

Looks like it'll be a fairly short season this one folks.

I would say short, but productive if the weather on average stays warm. Remember, a super can be filled in a very short space of time, sometimes within one week. Fingers crossed!

I would say short, but productive if the weather on average stays warm. Remember, a super can be filled in a very short space of time, sometimes within one week. Fingers crossed!

Indeed. Fingers crossed! Unfortunately the weather here isn't forecast to get above 14c for the next week......let's hope things warm up soon.

Latest posts

Back