One uncapped QC: should I split?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manek

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Spotted just one filled, uncapped QC yesterday, hanging off the bottom of a brood frame, so I've been chewing over whether to do an artificial swarm today - but seeing just a single cell where you might expect several is giving me pause. Should I be hesitating?

Does that mean yes to do the AS or yes to hesitate?
I would do the AS
E

Manek, really bit early for a swarm considering the weather, and lack of drones even here in Sussex.. sure not supercedure?, what is the laying pattern like, are there eggs?? Hope not one of my queens.. have a reputation to uphold!

Manek, really bit early for a swarm considering the weather, and lack of drones even here in Sussex.. sure not supercedure?, what is the laying pattern like, are there eggs?? Hope not one of my queens.. have a reputation to uphold!

Hello Heather! Yes, she's one of yours, and laying like a trooper. That, and the time of year, is why I'm wondering what's going on...

So PH, do you think they're not planning to swarm? If so, what's the QC for? The queen is only nine months old.

I have 2 Queen cells in one of my hives, supersedure, they are not going to swarm, too small a colony. I'll leave them to get on with it. Also couldn't find the queen nor any more eggs.

If she is laying like a trouper I would dump the queen cell, giving you thinking time. Cheeky bees! If they want to swarm (are they crowded -if so QE and super- keep them busy) they will make another then you can split (artificial) when more drones around.
IMO :rolleyes:

I plonked a drawn super and QX on two weeks ago as there were 6-7 frames of brood, and with the stores almost out to the wall, I was concerned about overcrowding. I'll pop up to the hive today and trash the QC.

When the hive want to swarm, it makes 10-15 Queen cells.

Now you have one open Queen cell there. I think think that it is a supersedure cell. They want to renew the Queen. No reason to make artificial swarm.

Let the bees feed the Queen cell ready. IT is not now time to arrange a revolution in the hive.

You may clip the wing of the Queen. Put the Queen over the excluder, that you get a new Queen from cell. - something like that.

Yes I would hesitate as when is one cell a sure indicator of swarming??

If she is laying well then take that cell out and see what they do. It may be a mistake. Yes bees do make mistakes too.

PH

I plonked a drawn super and QX on two weeks ago as there were 6-7 frames of brood, and with the stores almost out to the wall, I was concerned about overcrowding. I'll pop up to the hive today and trash the QC.

Also, give them more room in the brood nest. Ditch a frame of stores for a frame of drawn comb and place it in the brood nest.

Yes I would hesitate as when is one cell a sure indicator of swarming??

If she is laying well then take that cell out and see what they do. It may be a mistake. Yes bees do make mistakes too.

PH

Thanks Poly, got a bit confused with your answer. The final answer makes good sense!
E

I take no notice of queen cells until they contain larvae. They build dry cells throughout the summer, which mean nothing to me, it is just what they do. Often called " play cups"

I take no notice of queen cells until they contain larvae. They build dry cells throughout the summer, which mean nothing to me, it is just what they do. Often called " play cups"

Every colony makes those Queen cell cups. They mean nothing.

I have just committed regicide (QC was capped). I hope it was the right thing to do!

If I understand this correctly your queen was still laying and you had one charged queen cell!!!. Could you see the larva in the cell? or was it just filled with royal jelly?
The bees have now sealed the cell and you have committed regicide and killed your queen.
I think you have made a big mistake.
Given the time of year surely, as Heather suggested, you should have removed the single queen cell and destroyed it. not a perfectly good laying queen.
If you didn't want to destroy it make up a small nuc and stick it in there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back