One of my girls bringing pollen in this afternoon

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I just thought i would share one of the image with you from this afternoon, i got in the flight path and she ended up on my leg for a short while.

I just thought i would share one of the image with you from this afternoon, i got in the flight path and she ended up on my leg for a short while.

Looks like ivy to me :).

John Wilkinson

Hi Victor

As well as knowing her name the pollen colour of ivy is a browny/ orangey colour not a yellowy/orange as seen in the resting place for ivy.

As we know the colour of the pollen on the bees legs are darker than the original colour of pollen from the flower due to the secreation the bee produces to 'stick' the pollen grains together.

Regards;

As we know the colour of the pollen on the bees legs are darker than the original colour of pollen from the flower due to the secreation the bee produces to 'stick' the pollen grains together.
Regards;

Funny that ... my bees bring in tons of pollen that colour at this time of year and the hives stink of Ivy honey..

What are the pollen grains like BCrazy?

The pollen grains from Ivy are;
This is a copy from Sawyers collection.

I have over 150 containers of different pollens and checking my inventory, container 24, should have been Ivy pollen.
Low and behold I can't find 24 the Ivy pollen samples. I will make up some from fresh samples and post them.

Regards;

One of the other also came back with this which appears to be pink, would anyone have any idea where they are getting this from ? you can always click the picture to get a larger version from flickr.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the plant the pollen comes from but having looked up a book on colour of pollen I have come up with;

Field Bindweed, this is just beginning to die off around here.

Crossed-leaved Heath. This is a variety of heather. Not to bee confused with our Heather who posts on this forum.

Can you get a test done to see the characteristics of the pollen?

Regards;

ahhh doing an image search for crossed-leaved heath brings up a plant that i had noticed and assumed was a young heather.

I also have no idea how i would get a test done to find out the characteristics of the pollen.

Back