One of my Amm queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
This is one of my purer lines of black queen's, she was one of my first queen's I have grafted this season, turned out to be a drone layer and was turfed out yesterday evening.
Im donating her to some one as as a sample for beekeeping classes.
IMG_20210802_114406.jpgIMG_20210802_114359.jpg
She is going to a good home :):cry:

Shame she turned into a drone layer but what you’ve done is better than an introduction to the gate post

Shame she turned into a drone layer but what you’ve done is better than an introduction to the gate post
It was a shame the colony stopped feeding her, they now have another mated queen which I introduced 24hrs after they pulled the drone layer out the entrance.
New queen is laying up frames and all seems well.
It's been a mixed bag this season, I've had queen's not coming back from there Mating flights.
And on the other side of the coin, late June mated queen's know on double brood.
Fickle game this queen rearing!

What I see, the queen is very small size.
What is they reason to that small size, their are many . One is your first reared queen.

What I see, the queen is very small size.
What is they reason to that small size, their are many . One is your first reared queen.
One reason also black queen's imo tend to be smaller as a rule, but doesn't make a slight difference in fecundity.
Some of my tan queen's are marginally bigger.

One reason also black queen's imo tend to be smaller as a rule, but doesn't make a slight difference in fecundity.
I thought that queen size had been shown to have an influence. Maybe that research (can't remember where it came from) has been overturned?

What I have had blavk bees 30 years, their queend were big and strong hinf legs.

In your two pictures boath queens have small heads, smaller than the workers have. I use to compare my queens to the workers, that are the queens well fed in larva stage.

Some of my tan queen's are marginally bigger.

Some are bigger, and some are smaller.
That is easy to understand.

But swarm queens tend to be fat, because bees rear them with plenty food and in proper temperature.

Latest posts

Back