One new reason to winter losses

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
I saw on Beemaster forum big winter loss numbers. One inspector has writen in his article that youtube is one of the biggest reasons.

Theft from nosey Facebook YouTube and Forum members revealing your identity and location on the sly. Especially from those who have privileged accounts who have access to such information.

Theft from nosey Facebook YouTube and Forum members revealing your identity and location on the sly. Especially from those who have privileged accounts who have access to such information.

????????

Don't understand.

....from apiaries.

People search YouTube Facebook and Forums for hives to take and you don't know who those thieves are and as with most crime you don't have to look far from home

Lots of winter losses are from theft where do you think those thefts originate?

So where are the statistics showing the "lots of thefts"? Because if the US are having 50% losses, that's a lot of hives being stolen..

So where are the statistics showing the "lots of thefts"? Because if the US are having 50% losses, that's a lot of hives being stolen..

I don't know how that's relevant to my comment? I never stated a percentage of losses attributed to theft I just said. Theft. it accounts for a certain percentage no idea what that is but I'm sure its one of the most irritating of the losses. Not only do you lose the bees you lose the hives and the apiary, because odds are the thieving Bxxxxds will come back for next years haul

Last edited:
Hands up who has had their hives in an apiary stolen.
Mine are down by my side....obviously with fingers crossed.

Following some “advice’ on this forum is also to blame. Not the forum, only the posters and unknowing readers, mind.

What is it about YouTube that's causing big losses?

Is it people taking bad advice from videos that are more entertaining than educational?

Is it as someone has already mentioned - theft resulting from YouTube viewers finding the apiary?

Or something else?

I've been watching videos from Dirt Rooster, JP Beeman, Barnyard Bees and UoG Honeybee Research Centre and found them quite interesting.

The only losses I seem to get is from drone laying queens usually supersedure queens produced in autumn not getting mated but not noticed as mother queen still laying OK at that time. Daughter replaces mother sometime during the winter and I find her drone brood on 1st inspection.

Latest posts

Back