One handed queen catcher

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that one a little bulky. much prefer this one.. but just a case of practice.

Cut out the middle man. Use your fingers.
I agree, as soon as you have the confidence, try to do it by hand. I clip my queens so generally when I mark I get the clippers out as well.
You could try what I do late in the season when any damage to the queen could be disastrous. I mark the queens as they walk across the comb. I was shown it by a SBI and it is quick and easy but does take some practice. I used to use a Posca pen but it took too long to dry and often most of the marking had come off by spring so I have changed to Toma pens which are very quick drying and rarely get removed even if workers try to remove it straight away. I find that if applied this way the queen and workers hardly notice.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/1916286003...MIyZeVkL-27QIVBO_tCh0K1w-eEAQYASABEgIHTvD_BwE

Last edited:
I started using crown of thorns last year and much prefer it. Q stays on the comb and using a Toma pen, I can mark and lift it right away (no need to wait).

Thanks all, I first started using a crown of thornes for marking, I don't clip queen's.
But wanted to use a queen catcher as you can use it to remove queens if you need to rather than trying to put her in a cage.
I've also tried the Queen catcher Heather has suggested but didn't really get on with that one.
I will persist with the one I've linked in for catching the Queen and continue to use my crown of thornes and get the pen that Newbeeneil suggested.

It's all practice.
Next year I plan to have some practical with mentorees with catching drones first and marking which will in turn give me more experience..
Thanks all.
P s. I would be worried about damaging queen's if I was to just use my hands being 6ft 3 and having hands like shovels doesn't help.

There are times when marking a Q that you find using a COT is impossible or v difficult.. a newly emerged queen from an incubator in a Q cage.. Or in a mini nuc where there is little room.

I used to use my hands but with half an index finger missing on my left hand, it's easier to use the original one handed catcher shown (although I have both types).
I don't use Posca pens as they tend to flood when new and use Toma - or equivalent. The bees do not remove the paint.

I used to use a Posca pen but it took too long to dry and often most of the marking had come off by spring so I have changed to Toma pens
I don't use Posca pens as they tend to flood when new and use Toma
Thanks to both of you: the Posca are a curse, either flooding in high temps or drying out.

Which of the oil-based Tomas have you tried? Guess the one with xylene is out.

P s. I would be worried about damaging queen's if I was to just use my hands being 6ft 3 and having hands like shovels doesn't help.
No worries, we're the same height so I can assure you it doesn't affect catching queen's, kneel down if it helps!

As for hands, I don't have shovels but I have spent 35 years 'facing' the makiwara and years laying pipes and kerbs without it limiting dexterity.

Have a go. You'll need to handle workers when you start posting queen's around the kingdom anyway.

No worries, we're the same height so I can assure you it doesn't affect catching queen's, kneel down if it helps!

As for hands, I don't have shovels but I have spent 35 years 'facing' the makiwara and years laying pipes and kerbs without it limiting dexterity.

Have a go. You'll need to handle workers when you start posting queen's around the kingdom anyway.
I will do im not worried about picking workers up and putting them in my pocket or adding to queen cages.
It's a confedence thing I'll get there..

Hi I've used this this season and got on OK but on more than one queen was covered in more paint than needed.
Is there another type I should try or persist with this oneOne handed queen catcher
Thanks
Mark..

I have two of these devices a Korean made one with blue plastic which I think is the original device and the Chinese made one in your link with yellow plastic and a thumb slider on the side.

The Chinese one has limited motion for the stopper giving you less control and on mine the sponge was too thin to hold the queen still enough for marking thanks to the stoppers. I'd got it on eBay and the seller gave me a refund with no questions suggesting they know it's a shoddy device.. I later improved it by replacing the sponge myself but still prefer the other one.

The Korean one is also slightly wider making it easier to push the queen up with your thumb below her which feels more natural than using the thumb slider on the side of the narrower Chinese version.

I'd suggest trying the better Korean made version which is £8 from Th**nes at the moment.

They're so much more robust than we tend to think. But like anything, it's an unknown till we do it then it becomes common place.

Why do you keep workers in your pockets? Quaint Shropshire custom?

Mated queens from mating nucs being transferred to colony get a numbered thoracic disc as do AI queens.
Found the single handed catchers as much of a pain as the butterfly type.. both have a tendency to kill the queen if she should get caught in the wrong way!
last season had a couple of queens helicopter off ( usually return) will possibly go back to the crown of thornes or the plunger type. I clip all my queens at the beginning of the season... never at the end
Like the idea of the oil based pens.
This one ?????eBay
Nadelik Lowen

Latest posts

Back