One colony Two queen's

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJBee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
Evidence of a failing queen was first noticed on 25 May - drone Worker brood ratio all to pot. The colony superceded the queen and an unmarked (Virgin?) queen was first seen on 21 June, on 25 June eggs and larvae found, the unmarked queen was found and marked (blue), further on during the inspection the old (green) queen was also found.

Both queens were seen again this week (7 July) Has anyone any experience of how long mother and daughter can co-exist. This is my first 2 queen colony and the drone:worker ratio seems to be back to normal, perhaps the old queen has stopped laying altogether.

Hi I knew somone that had Double broodbox and had mother and daughter from June till into late September , but they stayed in seperate boxes so looked like two colonys as the mother was realy dark but her daughter much lighter plus her daughters the same.

Grub

Had a bee farmer tell me of a sup that lasted near 15 months. Must be very unusual that though.

PH

Expect to go into winter with both but come out of winter with the 2010 queen.

I have read although it's not used in this country , that some use the double q method all the time. It seems to be a bit hit and miss though from what i have read so far.

Two Queens

I agree with admin, i had the same issue last year (see thread 29th june 2009) i left them to it, just to observe what would happen, they went into winter with both queens, only one came out

I intend to leave them to it but will let you all know when one or t'other disappears:seeya:

I have had 2 Queens in one hive a few years ago.
I did the same as you.
In mid July I found the Queen and thinking the mark had rubbed off I remarked her.
Then found the old Queen.
They never swarmed.
The mother disappeared at the end of the year.
The mother was only 2 years old??

Latest posts

Back