On ebay...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a good deal, as is the rest of their "bees on a budget" range - not checked but I think the prices on their site, ex VAT, are pretty much identical to the ebay prices.

Meant to be wood with the odd knot or two, but the one I got was fine. Only thing I've replaced was the plastic QE

They've had an ebay presence for a while now, though may not have been in the company's name

I was lucky that I have been on holiday a couple of times this year near Market Rasen and popped in...........just for a look......:hurray:

It is a good deal,

Not really as it is only £135 (inc vat and free delivery as cost is over £100) direct from Thorne!

I emailed thorne last year and asked why they charge more via ebay, they just said it is to cover the ebay fees they are charged!

This just backs up the fact that ebay is not what it used to be and often more expensive

Last edited:
they just said it is to cover the ebay fees they are charged!

Approx £14.

ebay has about £150 a month off me.....

Cheaper than shop rent and other forms of advertising tho....

Thornes winter sale starts 29th November, they might have some cheap hives. Also Maisemore have a sale around the same time selling lots of seconds.

There are also the Thornes Sale Days. Well worth a visit; I will be going to the Stockbride one again. Take your wheel-barrow and be prepared for a scrum-down! Copy of the email below:

Dear Beekeeper

Sale Days are here again!

After many weeks of hard work supplying orders over the beekeeping season, we are at last in a position to announce dates for our 2010 Open Day, Sales Days and Winter Sale.

The first one will be the Sale Day at our Windsor branch - Saturday 9th October.

Then the Sale Day at our Stockbridge branch - Saturday 23rd October

This will be followed by the Wragby Open Day on Saturday 20th November. It will be at our new premises at Rand - now renamed as the Beehive Business Park, Rand, Nr. Wragby, LN8 5NJ

Finally, our online mail order Winter Sale will start on Monday 29th November.

Keep an eye on our website and the beekeeping press for further details.

Just a note about our new premises. Thank you to so many of our customers for their good wishes on our exciting project to move our factory after almost 100 years on the same site. The builders are now knocking down internal walls to make the shop and despatch area and the dust extraction system will start to be installed in a couple of weeks. Then we will start to move, department by department, as quickly as practical. But, for the moment, we are still at Wragby.

Gill Smith

E.H. Thorne (Beehives) Ltd, Beehive Works, Wragby, Market Rasen, LN8 5LA

Tel 01673 858555 [email protected]

I bought one of these from ebay all was fine and very fast service and payed with paypal so the item was insured me thinks . couldn't buy the cedar for that price.

rob

Indeed many seem to make up these hives then sell them on ebay at a decent profit as well as seperate items such as smokers, QE, hivetools etc available in other bundles

Indeed many seem to make up these hives then sell them on ebay at a decent profit as well as seperate items such as smokers, QE, hivetools etc available in other bundles

yes, they tend to be sold made up shortly after Thornes shop autumn sales or Stoneleigh event

but if you buy via the web site rather than thornes by credit card ( ie also £15 cheaper on-line than ebay you have much more protecvtion than paypal)

Quality: well don't store them indoors prior to making up, as the lower quaiity cedar they use can warp if they have knots in

the novemeber 29th onlie sale will also normally offer individual supers and brood boxes at similar prices and quality

Latest posts

Back