Omlet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nopants

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Had a look at the Omlet at Stoneleigh yesterday. It was ok apart from the fact the supers had large gaps inbetween them. Perfect for letting in those wasps and anything else that wanted to rob. I hope they can improve on it, wonder how well it will stand up to UV sunlight. I think in 8 years time if it isnt UV treated it will simple break up. I see this a lot with plastic as I work in the blinds industry.

Had a look at the Omlet at Stoneleigh yesterday. It was ok apart from the fact the supers had large gaps inbetween them. Perfect for letting in those wasps and anything else that wanted to rob. I hope they can improve on it, wonder how well it will stand up to UV sunlight. I think in 8 years time if it isnt UV treated it will simple break up. I see this a lot with plastic as I work in the blinds industry.

My 5 year old grand daughter thought they were selling ice cream from it...it was set up just outside the conservation hall...and i must admit looked like an ice cream vendors tub

It was ok apart from the fact the supers had large gaps inbetween them.

I have not an issue with any gaps in my beehaus, either around supers or the lid.

I must admit that locating the parts could made a bit more posotive through deaper notches to give a posotive lock.

I hope they can improve on it, wonder how well it will stand up to UV sunlight. I think in 8 years time if it isnt UV treated it will simple break up. I see this a lot with plastic as I work in the blinds industry.

As you will know Omlet started out making hen houses, I can not give a date when they started, but these plastic houses of the same as the beehaus have been around for at least 5 years , possibley a couple more.

I had one of the first Eglu's they sold (MKI),mine is green and has turned an off white/green with the sun over the years.
I also have a Cube thats green and 3 years old and thats been fine weather wise.

did they did have a problem, that one of the colours became a "magnet" for some type of inspect? (and dont say bees) I think it was them little thunder bug things.

How old is your mk1 omlet Admin?

Think it was the yellow that attracted flies (or: some sort of insect).

Nopants said:
I think in 8 years time if it isnt UV treated it will simple break up. I see this a lot with plastic as I work in the blinds industry.

As you will know Omlet started out making hen houses, I can not give a date when they started, but these plastic houses of the same as the beehaus have been around for at least 5 years , possibley a couple more.

2002 is when Omlet started up

Thanks Winddershins, so they have plastic knowledge for about 9/10 years

Last edited:
I do think omlet get far too much stick for trying something new or even reinventing the wheel if you like - I did spend some time with them last Saturday and they quoted a 10 year life for the hive.

My green one is still green but sadly empty as the bees died (my fault for knocking the queen in October!).

Jez

Poly hives need to be painted to protect them from UV and I have seen some nearly 25 years old which were still in good shape and in use.

If it became an issue with the Beehaus then I guess owners could paint the outside with an acrylic paint, which seems to stick well to poly so would probably be OK on the sort of plastic Omlet have used.

Back