Omlet Marketing...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OXFORDBEE

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
More than 1, numbers seem to go up and down.
Does anyone know if Omlet are intending to attend the National Honey Show or the BBKA Spring Convention next year to promote their product?

Can you not 'phone and ask?
Presumably if they want to sell hives they have a sales dept.

I am sure Omlets Marketing choice will be 100% correct for the market they will be aiming to promot to / sell to!

Victor/John. Why do you think people would purchase a Beehaus have more money than sense ? Compare the price with 2 complete national hives and you're not far off in price comparison. There are plenty of people who purchase 2 cedar hives a year, or more. Are they free of being tarred with a brush because they buy wood and not plastic ?

Omlet, I am sure, market the beehaus to a simliar market to that of the EggLu - people getting back in touch with the countryside, growing their own, wanting to know where their food comes from. They (Omlet) have a convenient product that, as it is marketed correctly, appeals to a large number of people. As I posted on the 'Poll' thread this morning, while 15 people would not buy a BeeHaus, the combined total of all the rest came to 17 - owners, planning to own, or considering.

Be careful as you could easily run out of friends with statements like that.

S

the combined total of all the rest came to 17 - owners, planning to own, or considering.

S

I think the exact statement was

...I might consider buying one in the future

It all depends on how you interpret the poll results .... !

Hmm, just remember chaps, that this forum may be made up or already have Beehaus owners - they have every right to belong to a forum where feel free from bias and free to ask questions.

If you have an attitude of Victors, maybe it should be relegated to the 'other' forum, where that kind of behaviour seems to be the accepted norm.

Rant over.

Hmm, just remember chaps, that this forum may be made up or already have Beehaus owners - they have every right to belong to a forum where feel free from bias and free to ask questions.

If you have an attitude of Victors, maybe it should be relegated to the 'other' forum, where that kind of behaviour seems to be the accepted norm.

Rant over.

You post on a forum and expect an adoring public to hang on your every word ?..
Cum on lad Waken up and Smell the coffee .
Dont spit your dummy out because someone is less than starry eyed about this "revolutionary" concept :confused:

You gotta be thick skinned

John Wilkinson

Victor/John. Why do you think people would purchase a Beehaus have more money than sense ? Compare the price with 2 complete national hives and you're not far off in price comparison. There are plenty of people who purchase 2 cedar hives a year, or more. Are they free of being tarred with a brush because they buy wood and not plastic ?

Omlet, I am sure, market the beehaus to a simliar market to that of the EggLu - people getting back in touch with the countryside, growing their own, wanting to know where their food comes from. They (Omlet) have a convenient product that, as it is marketed correctly, appeals to a large number of people. As I posted on the 'Poll' thread this morning, while 15 people would not buy a BeeHaus, the combined total of all the rest came to 17 - owners, planning to own, or considering.

S

Yes thats right people wanting to get back to nature getting the veg in shrink wrapped polystyrene trayed packets straight from the supermarket just like the bees in plastic boxes.
Perhaps we have a new venture for the omlet plastic veg that can be placed around the garden to give that home growen look.

Why do you think people would purchase a Beehaus have more money than sense ? Compare the price with 2 complete national hives and you're not far off in price comparison. There are plenty of people who purchase 2 cedar hives a year, or more. Are they free of being tarred with a brush because they buy wood and not plastic ?

Well, it's not quite so close. If I go to Thornes (which quite a lot of people would view as rather pricey) and order up a hive it costs me £180. That comes with 2 supers, so 4 of the little supers that the Beehaus has. Now any Beehaus user is going to need at least 4 supers per side to handle honey flows, so that's an extra £80 before you even start. So, you're looking at 2 x £180 vs. £565. Rather than buying Cedar in the flat, I could probably find someone to make me the hives in ply or pine for a lot less.

What would worry me rather more as a prospective user is the single source aspect, and the fact that if Omlet ever go out of business, that's my hives stuffed. With a National (or whatever), I know that there are any number of makers who can make parts (or I can make them myself).

Where they are going to make a difference is not in the hive (if the Dartington was such a revolution, we'd all be using them by now), but in the creation of a (paid for) ecosystem of advisers and courses. Traditionally, you had to search out your local beekeeping organisation, and out of the goodness of their hearts, they would help you (and then you would presumably help others in turn). All a bit backward for the rather more commercial noughties. What Omlet seem to be creating (certainly in the Chicken space) is a network of trainers where you can pole up with your £50 or whatever and get trained. If you want volume in beekeeping, this is the direction to go in.

What would worry me rather more as a prospective user is the single source aspect, and the fact that if Omlet ever go out of business, that's my hives stuffed.

Fair point actually....

Where they are going to make a difference is not in the hive (if the Dartington was such a revolution, we'd all be using them by now), but in the creation of a (paid for) ecosystem of advisers and courses. Traditionally, you had to search out your local beekeeping organisation, and out of the goodness of their hearts, they would help you (and then you would presumably help others in turn). All a bit backward for the rather more commercial noughties. What Omlet seem to be creating (certainly in the Chicken space) is a network of trainers where you can pole up with your £50 or whatever and get trained. If you want volume in beekeeping, this is the direction to go in.

Rae, that is quite a good post:cheers2:

This year alone there have been 2 or 3 other "new" hive designs, but how many of them have received the media coverage and even forum time as the Omlet? Virtually zero.

Omlet are selling and creating a “life style” which people are wanting and WILL pay for. Yes to many it is a flash in the pan, one minute wonder, but that is life now.

Sorry Laddie (whoops Lady).
I personally would neither purchase nor use a beehaus ! that's my choice for umpteen reasons mostly practical :).
My position all along has been that the hype surrounding same will attract the wrong sort of new beekeeper (in general), yes the neo brother Adam could be waiting for a wake up call from omlet but it is highly unlikely :).
The hive itself will have it's devotees as do other unconventional hives, so be it !
I am concerned by the (first on the block to have this must have it now ,think about the consequences tomorrow types)who will be carried along in a flush of planet saving zeal and will (in ignorance) inflict mayhem on neighbours etc(sorry for repeating myself).

John Wilkinson
:rant:

Yeah, but, it might lead to new beekeepers who turn from the plastic hives to wooden ones....

Did Polystyrene hives cause the amount of fuss the Beehaus has??

Latest posts

Back