Omlet Marketing...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<QUOTE> If I go to Thornes (which quite a lot of people would view as rather pricey) and order up a hive it costs me £180. That comes with 2 supers, so 4 of the little supers that the Beehaus has. Now any Beehaus user is going to need at least 4 supers per side to handle honey flows, so that's an extra £80 before you even start. So, you're looking at 2 x £180 vs. £565. Rather than buying Cedar in the flat, I could probably find someone to make me the hives in ply or pine for a lot less. </QUOTE>

It might be more than £565 ... don't forget the frames and foundation for the Beehaus as delivered and frames and foundatio for the extra supers...it makes a big difference...

Last edited:
Omlet Marketing.

It's also worth pointing out that 14x12 nucs are not that easy to come by. Omlet's website suggests they have a database of suppliers. I'm not convinced it amounts to much. Meanwhile they will be selling hives for the next 6 months to some people who will ultimately have to be content with watching spiders build their webs over their Beehaus next summer.

Chris B,

Not so. A standard brood nucleus should be easy enough to start with. No real problem of transferring to 14 x 12s. It might be for new beeks with no experience or training....

Regards, RAB

more complex system than a National

I don't go for that. I reckon my Dartingtons are simpler for a basic brood with no supering. There is no real difference in changing brood frame size from National Standard to National Jumbo. Probably easier in a Dartington because there is more space to move back the standard brood frames.

Differences arise when supering with those small 1/2 sized supers (advantages for those that are unable to lift heavy supers; disadvantages with multiple boxes pushed up tightly against each other), extracting (different sized frames) or when some think they can easily keep 2 colonies back-to-back, while still inexperienced.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back