Omlet Marketing...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Omlet are selling and creating a “life style” which people are wanting and WILL pay for. Yes to many it is a flash in the pan, one minute wonder, but that is life now.
DIDN'T realise it have been elevated to a religion ?
Are congratulations in order? and Am I quoting it's first ordained Bishop?.
:biggrinjester:

John Wilkinson

Living in thieving rural SE England, my biggest concern about the Beehaus (as a hive design rather than a concept) is that it is "one of those £500 hives" - and thus is as attractive to thieves as any other piece of garden machinery worth £500. The weight won't stop them - the people that broke into my neighbours lifted a 300 kilo ride-on lawnmower clear over a garden fence. That ride-on would have gone for a lot less than £500.....

What irked me was that it was presented by the BBC on the main news channels as something everyone could/should do.
It was portrayed as something so easy - the frames were spotless, the brood perfect and the bees were quiet - BBC even commented it was next to a school.
As the guy was demonstrating it I said "bet he's got designer stubble" and guess what - he had.
Nothing wrong with this but whilst it's good that new beeks are being encouraged I don't think the marketing hype is realistic - we all know keeping bees is not easy - neither is it entirely safe. Also the hive design has not stood the test of time as others have.

These things were skimmed over in the pursuit of sales of what is quite an expensive hive.

I won't be buying one.

I don't think the marketing hype is realistic .
-
That is the whole point of marketing!

Many people buy things for that reason alone.

These things were skimmed over in the pursuit of sales of what is quite an expensive hive..

To you maybe, but not others. The others being their target market.

You are all missing the point of the omlet, and from reading your replies will never grasp it. Only the people want it will.

And as for news, no news is bad news in the marketing game.

Omlet have a sound grasp with their sales and marketing roots from the eglues and cubes etc.

Nothing you "old timers" say will stop the ball rolling, it has already started.

It's a ball that's been rolling for far too long - symptomatic of people with money to waste on "style over substance" - superannuated plimsolls that cost £150 because some plonker decided that to wear the dreadful things is "stylish" - and eejits who wander about disporting themselves in overpriced shirts with "logos" on the breast, both made in the same far-eastern sweatshops by 7 year-olds chained to a workbench and dying of solvent fumes as the pound-shop versions...........
People who'll imagine that buying television-advertised aerosol bottles of synthetic pheromones will make women think they're biteably made of chocolate, or that fizzy alcoholic weasel pee will make them desirable - no it won't! - it's not called "wife-beater" for nothing!......
And last but not least, the stupid overweight old harridans that imagine that disporting themselves in a German convertible will render them young and desirable - no it won't, they're still sad badly-peroxided has-beens!
Should anyone have trouble working it out, I'm the teensiest sceptical about "lifestyle products" and "marketing" in general..........

Cant follow that !.
Say it like you mean it
:party:.

John Wilkinson

And as for news, no news is bad news in the marketing game.

The first picture of a 4 year old in hospital, stung to b*****y will be very bad news indeed. That is my concern with the marketing - "click here for bees" is a slightly high risk approach. At the moment you fight your way through the rather interesting "user interface" of Thornes and Mike the Bee....and eventually get hold of some bees. In doing that, you've picked up quite a bit of knowledge - the bloke in Thornes wouldn't sell us a hive until we could tell him what type we wanted, and what sort of frames we needed. Harsh - but good advice.

Nothing at all on the Omlet website mentions that keeping bees in an urban environment carries any risk at all, it mentions nothing about bee breeding and temperament. Imagine the consequences of a noob urban beek with a hive (any hive) of prolific and angry bees. They've either got no product liability lawyers....or very good ones indeed.

Rae, in fairness a 4 year old could be stung by bees that are used to pollinate a tomato farm, or from a conventional hive. I don't see why suddenly the BeeHaus could be the harbinger of doom.

The point of the course provision is to introduce interested people to beekeeping via the Omlet site of course. It is not designed to be a hard sell on the beehaus. I show no fewer than 5 types of hive on my course. Once they have attended a course, they go away armed with information about the BBKA, local BKAs, information on where best to site a hive and so on, and they make their minds up about the right hive. If they want they can buy a national and paint it bright green just to feel better.

Anybody could buy a hive at an auction/via a main supplier and start beekeeping having read a book (eg beekeeping for dummies) but most people try and find out as much as possible about the subject first before diving headlong in - which ever hive they choose, unless they are a competent woodworker, they will have to part with cash. As long as the hive does it's job, and in the case of the BeeHaus, it is designed for the smaller beekeeper, not your commercial guys, then that is fine.

At least the BeeHaus comes with information - I can't ever recall receiving advice about bees when purchasing cedar hives in the flat !

Whatever the detractors think about the beehous, it has succeeded in bringing in new interest to the beekeeping sector - and that has to be a good thing - unless you are someone who guards the 'rituals and rites' of beekeeping so jealously you couldn't possibly imagine someone having their own hive until they had studied for at least 10 years.

The same goes for TBH, whether you are a fan or not, they too are bringing new found interest to the hobby.

The more people are interested, the more clout the beekeeping profession will have and that gets my vote.

Like Dyson (For Now)?

John Wilkinson

Dyson shut down it's manufacturing plant a few years ago and moved it to the Far East. (it was our areas biggest employer with JD himself living in our village) It's other operations still remain.

The nastyness that hit the public eye was it was due to financial reasons. That bit was true. It was because Wiltshire County Council would not allow an expansion on it's own site to keep up with demand. This cost the local area nearly 600 jobs.

JD was a nice chap and very devoted to the people and the area and tried for a very long time to convince WCC that the Malmesbury plant should expand.

He also tried several times to build an Engineering acadamy to encourage local initiatives. It got turned down several times, but am not sure if he managed it somewhere else.

This forum is very pro beehaus bashing, but I personally am sitting on the fence at the moment about the Omlet and am sure it will do very well in the correct market.
'Different' is not always a bad thing. I am sure the first person who suggested making a boat, plane or car out of metal was laughed out of the pub (or where ever!)

If they are built in the UK (?) and the guy who invented the Omlet is forced to move manufacturing elsewhere due to being a success, good luck to him!
He has helped bring the plight of the honeybee to the public eye and has helped making a very big talking point (good and bad!)

Just my two cents

They've either got no product liability lawyers....or very good ones indeed.

They have very good ones.

But then again, they might not be covered agaist paper cuts from the instruction manual.

I am sure that will make news when a 4 years old gets a really bad cut!

Dyson shut down it's manufacturing plant a few years ago and moved it to the Far East. (it was our areas biggest employer with JD himself living in our village) It's other operations still remain.

It was because Wiltshire County Council would not allow an expansion on it's own site to keep up with demand. This cost the local area nearly 600 jobs.

He also tried several times to build an Engineering acadamy to encourage local initiatives. It got turned down several times, but am not sure if he managed it somewhere else.

I am sure if Dyson sugested he was going to build a Dance Acadamy or "X Factor Acadamy" they would have welcomed him with open arms:svengo:

Yes the Omlet is made in the UK, Oxfordshire.

:iagree:

JD still hasn't had his engineering college given the green light. Bath council were the last to turn it down . WHY ?!!!

I could say, but this is a public forum with the possibility of children looking in!

I am sure if Dyson sugested he was going to build a Dance Acadamy or "X Factor Acadamy" they would have welcomed him with open arms:svengo:

Yes the Omlet is made in the UK, Oxfordshire.

Many youngsters are more likely to apply for Dance X Factor than an Engineering course these days.

I am unfortunate enough to work with several young twentysomethings that have no drive or care about anything.
One especially (dyed) blonde girl in her twenties is still conviced she is going to marry a footballer and live in LA....

I think brain cells must have skipped a generation or two...

who cares if you're living the lifestyle..........

BurberryPushchair3.jpg

very cute! :)

looks a lot brighter than many of those at work already! (mouth is not hung open for a start!)

Latest posts

Back