Omlet fixes arrived...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Anyone else got bits of kit to fix issues with the hives?

1) inspection board strengtheners

2) foam replacement pads due to bees eating them

JD

Are the foam replacements on perpetuity as they will be eaten in...

PH

They are one's the bee's cannot eat.........inedible.

HM - No, I think they are substantially better than the original parts. I don't think the bees will be chewing them of course they could scrub the pans with them as they do resumble the same material...:)

lol, 4 x mini brillo pads :)

leaving them until the Spring now...

lol, 4 x mini brillo pads :)

leaving them until the Spring now...

did the fixes, only took seconds to sort out, not sure the mite boards needed the extra side bards mind.

JD

another 3 hive updates arrived today, this thing has more fixes than windows XP!!

joking :)

I guess on a positive note this is not something you would get with other hives, maybe it also shows the level of testing that was done prior to volume shipping.

Last edited:
this is not something you would get with other hives

...or need

maybe it also shows the level of testing that was done prior to volume shipping.

<snigger>

I'm sure it will all work out in the end, if it doesn't, and with a few more modifications, it might make a convenient place to keep beer cool at a barbeque :)

I'm sure it will all work out in the end, if it doesn't, and with a few more modifications, it might make a convenient place to keep beer cool at a barbeque :)[/QUOTE]

Not even any good for that, there's a hole in the bloody floor:banghead:

Regards Ian

maybe it also shows the level of testing that was done prior to volume shipping.

There is a post on here that says (quote) "The Omlet hive has been tested over the past 2 years before release to the public by many experienced beekeepers." (unquote).

This thread does seem to indicate/confirm that little testing, by few beekeepers, for a short period of time, was closer to the truth.

Regards, RAB

I'm sure it will all work out in the end, if it doesn't, and with a few more modifications, it might make a convenient place to keep beer cool at a barbeque :)

Not even any good for that, there's a hole in the bloody floor:banghead:

Regards Ian[/QUOTE]

lol, true, but if I had a BBQ I could just as easy chop up my nationals and call them firewood :)

At least you can use your Nationals as BBQ fuel. Using a Beehaus would probably get the fire brigade called out!

Somerford, is this what I would call a varroa tray? On my polyhives these are best left out all year round apart from odd periods of monitoring or treating. Do the BH people recommend it is left in?

yes my has a few times but I would not have expected it not too - those side bars add little to stop it blowing away... I must admit I went to look at the hives earlier expecting to see the BH blown over with current wind, yet it was still stood up

Can I ask this question with the wind we are experiencing at the moment is the omlet going to get more draught through the omf because of the omlets height of the ground as the wind with less resistance can blow harder than say if it was 220mm off the ground

Can I ask this question with the wind we are experiencing at the moment is the omlet going to get more draught through the omf because of the omlets height of the ground as the wind with less resistance can blow harder than say if it was 220mm off the ground

prob yes, but its small % numbers I suspect, they are also on deep frames so bee(ZZzzZZzzz) can go higher than my standard frames too, the extra ventilation may help with a higher risk of damp due to it being trapped in the plastic casing.

is the omlet going to get more draught

It is certainly more likely to if the varroah board stayed in place and the wind direction was parallel to the hive as the board does not prevent the draught being directed towards the floor area, but may actively induce a draught. How much the OMF dissipates any draughts is another matter.

I, for one, would not be leaving that particular board in place (however long it might stay there!). For a start, it is no longer a varroah board as most debris will be blown away and secondly for the reason above. I would recommend a home-made board that fitted properly and securely and with offset ventilation, with regard to the cluster position. I would also be scrutinising the top ventilation and possibly be taking steps towards reducing that.

Those plastic 'book/leaflet/booklet spines' are a jolly good idea for making dividers/dummy boards for any hive as there is a small amount of adjustment available on the dimensions to achieve a snug (or an accurate) fit, they are chicken feed money from any stationers/art shops, easily sized and disposable (recyclable). Full marks to omlette for that particular part of the design (or was it simply a fudge to avoid some of the issues?). Hope it is not copy-righted!

Regards, RAB

There is a post on here that says (quote) "The Omlet hive has been tested over the past 2 years before release to the public by many experienced beekeepers." (unquote).

This thread does seem to indicate/confirm that little testing, by few beekeepers, for a short period of time, was closer to the truth.

Regards, RAB

Omlet, they are damed if they do and damed if they dont!

How many other products in the world get recalls or upgrades or develpemets after they are realsed? I have one word for you MICROSOFT! A lot! So why should the beehaus not bee the same?

If people had made note of these MINOR mods that are required and Omlet sat back and done nothing about it I am sure there are some members on thsi fourm that would have been the first to say Omlet is just taking the money and running!

But no, omlet has listened to beekeepers that are using these hives (+ the Omlet R&D team) and they have set out some very good fixes for MINOR issues....and the doubter's poo-poo it!

I am sure they will be a fix out soon for the base board blowing off?

Yes Omlet have done 2 years R&D, but back to the old 80:20 rule.

Latest posts

Back