Omlet courses

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
As an owner of the Omlet Beehaus, many of you will have seen my threads and blog postings of my progression to date. The forum are very interested in hearing about other members (I know many of you have the beehaus) experience with their new beehaus hive, so it will be great to hear from you.

As well as this dedicated section of the forum, there is also the Blog section to post reports, photographs or even videos of your progression.

Please introduce yourselves and feel free to bounce ideas off me and other members.

And any new members looking to purchase the Omlet Beehaus, this forum is a great place to start your research into bees and Beekeeping.

Jim

Last edited:
Good post jimbk, I know you run training courses as part of the Omlet network, do you also sell the equipment ? It would seem to be in short supply at the moment.

Hi Brum

Yes I do run Beehaus/beekeeping Taster Courses (please do not confuse this with a Beekeeping course, but they can be provided)

I do not sell any equipment or "work" for Omlet.

Are you referring to Omlet Beehaus being in short supply or beekeeping equipment in general?

I was referring to the supply of Omlet equipment. Apart from Thornes, who for reasons known only to themselves, appear to be 'de-stocking', there doesn't seem to be any trouble getting most stuff.

Even Thornes, who do a very complete new cedar hive with all frames, wax, Qx and 2 supers, etc for £108, tell me in now back in stock.

A new member in our club was considering the purchase of a Beehaus, but irrc Omlet had no stock according to him. He bought from Thornes as they said they would be in a position to supply within seven days and would make no delivery charges.

I am a bit confused about who is connected with the Omlet list of 'approved trainers' and who isn't. I presume if you are on the list they pay you fro the work somehow ?

I think there are some other forum members who are connected in some way with Omlet but I don't know what the categorization is.

My enquiry was based on the fact that they don't yet appear to have anyone in Birmingham, and you're not too far away for a week-end jaunt.

I was referring to the supply of Omlet equipment. .

I have just been informed by Omlet they have plenty of stock. But they are telling people they can not provide bees untill the new year. Which is a fair coment.

I am a bit confused about who is connected with the Omlet list of 'approved trainers' and who isn't. I presume if you are on the list they pay you fro the work somehow ?

I think there are some other forum members who are connected in some way with Omlet but I don't know what the categorization is..

As you see the courses have a fee to them. Omlet take 20% for hosting the web site link etc, the host takes the rest.

The course dates,times and structure is all left to the host.

My enquiry was based on the fact that they don't yet appear to have anyone in Birmingham, and you're not too far away for a week-end jaunt.

Anyone can register via Omlet to be a course host, in fact they will welcome more to as you state cover the whole of the UK.

Why not register yourself?

There are many on this forum that Talk the Talk, but why not walk the walk?

JIm,

I am pleased to say that we are due to accept our Beehaus from Omlet next week and will be running courses in Kent. Shame its not here for Sunday and then somemore Beeks could have a good look at it..but I'm sure we will be starting a Blog to cover the pro's/con's and trials and tribulations..

GWW

Er, Fris, I know you've had success finding and recovering wild bees recently, but I don't think you're gonna find many up there ! .......

The thought of it makes my eyes water, .... even the cow is flinching .... ;)

J

Feedback on the Somerford course

It was really good.

Learnt a lot, despite GWW and Widdershins covering a huge amount on the visit we had with them last weekend.

The weather was perfect, met pnkemp and ameldridge, saw WBC, National, Top Bar, Warre, oh and the beehaus :)

The beehaus looked like a very well designed piece of kit. I'd be very tempted if it was a bit cheaper and not quite so 'industrial' in style. It's certainly a hive design I'd like to try in a few years (either as beehaus or wooden Dartington).

Thanks to Somerford for a really professionally delivered course. I'd recommend him and this course without any hesitation.

Last edited:
I think Firegazer's comments summed up the afternoon at Somerford's nicely :)

Wish I'd taken my proper camera and took more photos but here's an action shot ;)

picture.php

A couple more are in my album.

Cheers, Ron

PS "Lewis" was the Inspector Morse spin-off :)

Last edited:
I'll third the comments, really nice intro to what a hive inspection is, and gave me a lot to think about before getting a colony, hopefully in the spring. There's a set of allotments about 10 mins walk from my new house which I think is a better bet than a back garden hive, and means I'll have more space.

Now, assuming the allotment committee are amenable, the next step is to decide what to go for. The Dartington style, whether Omlet or wooden, sounds intresting to manage, versus a couple of Nationals in cedar, but I'll read up more over the winter so I know which way to jump.

Pete K

You only intend keeping one colony, or two?

A Dartington is not enough for two colonies without all the extra swarm control hive-parts separate. Two Nationals will need spare boxes for swarm control as well.

For two decent colonies you would need two Dartingtons or the Nationals plus spare bodies, floors, etc. Don't take my word for it, ask a few real beeks.

Don't let anyone tell you that all you need is the hive to hold the bees. That is rubbish, I can tell you. If you have ten colonies you might need 15 hives. If you had a hundred colonies you can get away with much less spare hive capacity, pro rata.

If you are happy to lose swarms (and honey crop), then go ahead with one hive per colony.

Regards, RAB

OXFORDBEE,

??????

Please explain which bits you did not understand, or disagree with, in the context of my reply.

Regards, RAB

Hi Brum

Yes I do run Beehaus/beekeeping Taster Courses (please do not confuse this with a Beekeeping course, but they can be provided)

I do not sell any equipment or "work" for Omlet.

Are you referring to Omlet Beehaus being in short supply or beekeeping equipment in general?

Hey Jim, are you still running the courses and if so in what format are they given its now a closed season in effect.

Also are you supplying suits? what are you charging to cover that cost?

Cheers

JD

Hi Jezd

Yes I (and others on this forum) are running Omlet courses.

There are still a few courses in the closed season, mainly aimed at very much beginners just to run them through the very basics.

The best one could hope for now is on a VERY nice day the roof lifted for 30 seconds or so for people to view.

Suits are supplyed but most people limit their course to 4 people.

Without advertising too much, people are listing courses for 2010, my best recommendation is you visit the Omlet site for more info, or pm me.

Last edited:
Just revisited the picture of course ! .
I notice that the dress code of some of the attendees doesn't meet with the latest recommendations of the national bee unit, particularly the leather/ cotton gauntlets !. Apiary hygiene , including clean/ disposable gloves, clean bee suits and a container for sterilising hive tools etc are now regarded as best practice and should be adopted by all who purport to be tutors/ mentors of bee keepers new and old .
Nb. this isn't a criticism but a nudge in the right direction come hands on time again:).

John Wilkinson

Good points John, but if you look at this picture you will note new gloves and clean washed suits.

DSCN1070.jpg

And realy at this level of course, the people are not touching the hives

Back