Omlet Beehaus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The nosema's i believe is another problem responsible for lots of losses.
They seem rather concerned about it in the states,just been reading a thread on beesource......

heard that alot of hives are once again crashing around the country. also hearing that nosema levels are off the charts. can anyone confirm or deny?
Reply With

"Reply with" what?
Hivemaker have you fallen asleep on the keys again?

sorry, thats an extract from beesource,should of said.

Last edited:
I can see why those using Plastic/Poly hives would be more than happy to sterilize after an outbreak as per guidlines but personaly I would burn everything to be on the safe side.

The Defra guide is just that,a guide.

This is a bit worrying, I was told by a building construction firm that they were expressly forbidden to burn off-cuts of polystyrene as it was extremely toxic to the environment.

They had to get it scientifically disposed of, or buy landfill facilities.

I think this issue might need research. :(

You are not allowed to burn plastic in the open, it is a legal thing. Burning plastic does produce nasties but wood is not innocent. The second largest source of dioxin in the US after industry is burning wood (or lumber as they call it) in domestic hearths. However, when there is Foot and Mouth animal carcasses are burnt in the open which equally produce all sort of pollution.

This might help?

FERA site (was DEFRA)

Omlet said:
How to sterilise your beehive
If you had a disease such as American Foulbrood or European Fouldbrood in your colony, you will need to sterilise your hive. It is also good practice to sterilise your beehive whenever you get a chance or if you are selling or purchasing a secondhand hive.

Sterilising your beehaus
Wood or plastic hives can be sterilised using common chemicals such as bleach, caustic soda or Virkon S. The only thing that chemicals cannot treat is wax and you would need to remove this before doing the sterilisation. We recommend that your read the office Defra advice leaflet here: https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/pdfs/fbleaflet.pdf - page 34, under the head Chemical Sterilisation.

Frames and wax
You can sterilise wax by using gamma rays from a radioisotope of cobalt. As you probably won't have a gamma radiation machine to hand, it is recommended that your depose of the wax and old frames by burning them in a fire.

bee_virkon_sterilisation.png

The problem is not all bee inspectors are on message - I know, I've spoken to one regional inspector who simply disbelieved this advice and was convinced burning was the only solution. One day we'll catch up with the rest of Europe.

My bee inspector "accidentally" set a whole newspaper on fire on the back of my truck. Now I realise he was probably under instructions to try to kill me. Pyromania is one of the requirements of the job.

Chris B said:
Now I realise he was probably under instructions to try to kill me.

In some circles, this is known as "Rough Justice". :)

The spelling is deliberately loose to protect the usual suspects. Without whom life would be somewhat less amusing, you have to admit.

Back