Omlet Beehaus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I being over sensative ?
Or do we seem to have many new members the last 24 hours who make a single post that looks like a spam advert for Omlet ?

p.s. We are also looking for beekeepers who would like to host beekeeping courses - called beehaus parties. We would like to get a basic 1-2 hour taster course going, which would allow someone to actually experience inspecting a hive so they can work out if it for them. If you have bees - would you be interested in running a taster course? If so, pop me an email :) - [email protected]"[/I]

So the reference to tupperware was more pertinent than we thought. Anyone for a tupperware, sorry Beehaus party?:)

Spam omelettes.......... yuccchhhh!:svengo:

Naw you are just being a cynical git. Its a nice day, I am going to play with the bees. I am going to find out what they have been doing with all the pollen - that should put me in a good mood.

Well just to break the mold here's a second post. I'm only a new member to see the full thread (as I like to do my research as you guys are so keen to point out is important). I'm guessing you have quite a few new members for the same reason and surely that isn't a bad thing. At least people are doing there research before going any further...

The question was genuine and I thought his post would be of interest. I can see why you might think of it as 'promotional' but that wasn't the intention.

Naw you are just being a cynical git. Its a nice day, I am going to play with the bees. I am going to find out what they have been doing with all the pollen - that should put me in a good mood.

I have arranged to show a headmaster through a couple of hives after lunch who is interested in starting beekeeping at the local boarding school.

It will be nice to go crack a few crownboards as I think I may be going stir crazy sat here...

Time for some fresh air.

Well just to break the mold here's a second post. I'm only a new member to see the full thread (as I like to do my research as you guys are so keen to point out is important). I'm guessing you have quite a few new members for the same reason and surely that isn't a bad thing. At least people are doing there research before going any further...

The question was genuine and I thought his post would be of interest. I can see why you might think of it as 'promotional' but that wasn't the intention.

Thanks for the reply JV,sorry if I offended in any way,I need to go and play with my bee's I think and take a chill pill.

I've got to put the finishing touches to my reclaimed wood henhouse as the new occupants are ready for picking up ....... stained glass is installed - floor and waterproofing to go! :)

I have been following this thread (and a similar one on Omlet's forum) with interest. I have bees and chickens. I have an eglu (which I think is great), but am considering a more 'traditional' coop when I expand my flock. Therefore, I think I am reasonably unbiased in this debate.

I think Omlet are getting some undeserved criticism, and from my reading of their comments and interviews, I think they are doing it mostly right. The designers are beekeepers themselves and members of beekeeping associations from whom they have sought advice. They researched existing hives and brought Robin Dartington onto their design team when they decided they liked his design the best. In all the interviews I have seen, they have stressed the importance of education and getting good support from a local association. Yes, they are a commercial company, but I think they are one of the more friendly and considerate ones.

I actually quite like some of the features of the hive: The wide brood box which should give more options for swarm management; the smaller, lighter supers; the integrated travelling/roof strap; and the 14x12 frames. On the negative side, I think it looks a bit nickable, and I'm not sure how you add a new tier of supers. Yes, there are issues with sterilsation and the Foul Broods, but that's true of any plastic or polystyrene hive too and as most people (including me) use wooden hives, of course the most widely communicated advice concerns them. Defra's own advice is that while comb cannot be chemically sterilised, brood boxes and hives can be, though I suspect with wood it's much harder to remove all the chemical residue than with plastic hence the preference for burning.

As for cost, put in perspective, it's probably in competition with a full assembled hive from a big supplier. Thornes have a National with all frames and 2 supers for about £285. Since the Beehaus is effectively two hives, it compares quite well at £465. No-one who would build their own bee or chicken accommodation would consider an Omlet product, but they aren't after that market.

Don't get me wrong, though - I am not an apologist for Omlet and I don't think for a second that the right thing is for people to jump into beekeeping on a whim, but I do think much of the blame for that emphasis is the media, not Omlet. There are clear risks with beekeeping in an urban environment, but like any risk you can manage them and need to weigh them up against the benefits. Personally, I am nervous about bees in my garden, but have a site that I think mitigates the risks (and some backup out-apiary sites in reserve). But I still want bees nearby because there are so few honey bees in my garden normally. I think the Omlet blurb emphasises the positives a little too much, but then so would any supplier.

In conclusion, I agree with David P elsewhere that we will see a fair number of new beeks drop out next year, and hopefully that will result in some good value hives on eBay - if some of those are Beehaus, I could well be bidding.

Am I being over sensative ?
Or do we seem to have many new members the last 24 hours who make a single post that looks like a spam advert for Omlet ?

You must expect new members of this forum after the news released yesterday...........after all it was you that was pleased when you got this forum number 1 on Google for 'omlet beehaus' :)

Yours Roy

To put this in perspective, I've now got two home built hives, full of bees, beesuit, veil, hive tool, smoker - whole shemozzle, circa £100 - and the pleasure and deep satisfaction of having "done it myself" - beehives recycleable and biodegradeable, minimal carbon footprint as no "manufacture" involved...... priceless! :cheers2:

I agree. Beekeeping does not have to be a really expensive hobby.
I am sure the Beehaus is fit for purpose but it's way beyond my budget, especially if you want to keep 8 colonies.

Fare comment that you can build hives cheaper (and well done for doing so!).

Thanks Simon though for the most unbiased and full answer I have seen anywhere.

For information I am not trendy, nor fashion concious.

I just know, how ever uncomfortable this information may be, that bees do better in poly hives than single wall wooden ones. End of.

PH

And no I am not hosting any bloody parties.

You old Farts!

I am looking forward to a "beehaus partie"

I used to love the old tuppaware one:cheers2:

Is Mike at Easybee going to have an f'ing Beehaus f'ing party :svengo:

Is Mike at Easybee going to have an f'ing Beehaus f'ing party :svengo:

If he can fill them with his f'ing Slovenian bees and charge for it I am sure he will be first in the queue!

Excellent!

Loadsa free swarms next year then!

Latest posts

Back