• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Omlet Beehaus Beehive wanted in coventry

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmattys30

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
hi im after one of these but not the older ones, must be in good nick

thanks matt:

Are you sure you want one. I have got to say my experience of them is not good.

I would advise you to look at national/langstroth/rose/smith hives rather than the beehaus.

I will happily give a list of reasons why.

M

hi evey one, i like the look of them but dont like the wood ones to be honest, wold a polly be better

hi evey one, i like the look of them but dont like the wood ones to be honest, wold a polly be better

Matt, pardon me if I'm not phrasing this delicately enough, but the looks are a relative incidental with a beehive. Since joining an association and doing a beginners' training course, what types of hive have you handled?
Beekeeping is a bit more complicated than chicken-keeping, which is why the Omlet/Beehaus marketing has offended so many beekeepers (having previously offended poultry-keepers!) There is rather more to it than "read the enclosed leaflet".

The problem for me is the incredibly irritating position one has to contort oneself into in order to remove the frames.

As you already know it isn't a good idea to stand in front of a hive entrance (see Dusty Rhodes's profile picture) and yet Omlet, and Robin Dartington, have decided to make you stand at the entrance or twist round just to get frames out.

A hive should be as easy as possible to manipulate, afterall you're going to be in the hive a lot for a long time.

Good luck with your beekeeping.

M

Good luck. I love the Beehaus, though I don't own one. Use whatever you feel comfortable with, whatever gives you confidence. There's a few on the second-hand sites, just keep looking.

The problem for me is the incredibly irritating position one has to contort oneself into in order to remove the frames.

As you already know it isn't a good idea to stand in front of a hive entrance (see Dusty Rhodes's profile picture) and yet Omlet, and Robin Dartington, have decided to make you stand at the entrance or twist round just to get frames out.

A hive should be as easy as possible to manipulate, afterall you're going to be in the hive a lot for a long time.

Good luck with your beekeeping.

M

Totally agree ... my long hive has the entrance on the front and the roof is hinged on that side as well - so I can handle the frames from the back of the hive and the hinged lid, when open, actually deflects any homecoming bees away from the top of the hive and they can continue to use the entrance on the front during inspections ... You can set up a Dartington so you don't have the entrance problem ...

There's a good pamphlet on Dartingtons here:

http://www.thorne.co.uk/image/data/...LD INTRODUCTION SPRING 08 P CMP - 10-1-14.pdf

what about a prolly hive, I just don't think the wood ones look nice in my garden to be honest

what about a prolly hive, I just don't think the wood ones look nice in my garden to be honest

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Personally the plastic Beehaus looks pig ugly to me.

What about a painted polyhive? Paynes sell good ones you can beautify with a colour of your choice.
Cazza

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Personally the plastic Beehaus looks pig ugly to me.

What about a painted polyhive? Paynes sell good ones you can beautify with a colour of your choice.
Cazza

Ahhh ... Do you remember ... ???

This is just the sort of thing the OP needs and for a small commission I could arrange for a man to personalise a poly in the OP's chosen camouflage paint - won't even SEE the hive in the garden if he gets the colours right !

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=27613

Go for the hive you want - if that's a Beehaus, so be it. I understand garden design and fitting in of extras - you can be sure most people on here have a British standard 'cottage garden' so won't understand contemporary garden requirements.

Go for the hive you want - if that's a Beehaus, so be it. I understand garden design and fitting in of extras - you can be sure most people on here have a British standard 'cottage garden' so won't understand contemporary garden requirements.

That's only a teensy weensy bit insulting to those of us who clearly have no comprehension of garden design.
Cazza

hi

i got the one of Dudley thanks pargyle

but he had sold his bees already

thanks matt

Latest posts

Back