OMG 2 for 1

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannaBkeeper

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone.

My name is Dave and i am a new beek in the west yorkshire area (as of 6pm today).

Last night i got the call i have been waiting "your nuc is ready for collection", well so far i have been excited, scared, doubting, and every other emotion you can think of.

I arranged to collect my nuc at around 5:30 this evening and drove the 7 miles :auto: grinning from ear to ear:rofl: i arrived to find 2 nucs on patio, as you can imagine i had lots of questions. I then paid for my nuc and was ready to leave when i was told i could take the other nuc for free ( a swarm whith a virgin Q), so i did.

After driving the scariest 7 miles i have ever driven i am the proud owner of 2 nucs at the bottom of my garden.

Now here comes the question.

I was planning to hive my nuc on Sunday if the weather permits, but not sure what to do with the virgin nuc, should i leave this a little longer to give the Q a chance to make her mating flight or hive it as i had planned?

Regards

Dave

Although I am not a very experienced beek, I would suggest hiving the nuc as you said but leave the nuc with the virgin queen until she starts laying, therefore you minimize the chances of killing her meaning the colony having no eggs to make a new queen and also her getting lost if you hive them while she is on a mating flight.

Hope this makes sense and I'm sure a much more experienced beek will be along to provide all the right answers :)

Xan

Hi everyone.

My name is Dave and i am a new beek in the west yorkshire area (as of 6pm today).

Last night i got the call i have been waiting "your nuc is ready for collection", well so far i have been excited, scared, doubting, and every other emotion you can think of.

I arranged to collect my nuc at around 5:30 this evening and drove the 7 miles :auto: grinning from ear to ear:rofl: i arrived to find 2 nucs on patio, as you can imagine i had lots of questions. I then paid for my nuc and was ready to leave when i was told i could take the other nuc for free ( a swarm whith a virgin Q), so i did.

After driving the scariest 7 miles i have ever driven i am the proud owner of 2 nucs at the bottom of my garden.

Now here comes the question.

[I was planning to hive my nuc on Sunday if the weather permits,] but not sure what to do with the virgin nuc, should i leave this a little longer to give the Q a chance to make her mating flight or hive it as i had planned?

Regards

Dave

Make sure you check the weather,the forecast for Sunday is rain over most of the uk,best to do it tomorrow.

Will do, had heavy rain last night but today is looking quite good.

Thanks for the reply Xan, still unsure if i am going to hive the virgin Q yet, better make a plan i think, reading glasses on for next few hours.

Dave

Virgin Q

Rather depends on what they are in and how strong the nuc is.

Cardboard box - might be a bit dodgy; correx box - OK; nucleus hive - ideal. The nuc will only get smaller for the next three weeks or so (OK she may lay up the space fairly quickly), so it is not going to need any more space until she is laying.

Feed only if and when required or your box will be full of sugar honey for no good reason.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back