Omf query

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gower

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Please excuse my ignorance, but when overwintering with OMF, am i right in saying that the inspection board below the mesh should be removed to allow for ventilation?

cheers

Please excuse my ignorance, but when overwintering with OMF, am i right in saying that the inspection board below the mesh should be removed to allow for ventilation?

cheers

Yup

EDIT: Although if using Oxalic mid winter you may want to put them back in to monitor drop

thank you! was a bit anxious as one of my hives is showing a fair bit of mould on CB this year, so want to get the ventilation right. think i'll also have a go at propping the CB with matches too, and blocking the bee escape holes over. will also have insulation in the roof above CB, but no other form of insulation.

thank you! was a bit anxious as one of my hives is showing a fair bit of mould on CB this year, so want to get the ventilation right. think i'll also have a go at propping the CB with matches too, and blocking the bee escape holes over. will also have insulation in the roof above CB, but no other form of insulation.

Blocking holes is good, and insulation idea is sound, but matchsticks not considered a good idea with OMF - you create a chimney effect with wind whistling through. The OMF should give sufficient ventilation of its own.

Is the mould above or below the crownboard?

mostly on top of the CB, but there has been a bit of mould on a few of the outer frames too. i've put a different roof on to see if this cures the problem and also realigned the frames in the BB to the "cold" way to see if this will increase airflow and ventilation. I've checked the BB and cant see any obvious signs of water penetration.

as per my post in another thread re matchsticks and what seems like a small amount of ventilation:

"assume each is only 2.5mm thick. doesn't sound like much does it?

BUT

4 sides x 460mm x 2.5mm = 46 cm2 gap around top.

that is equivalent to having a 7cm diameter chimney in the top of the hive.

would you leave a skylight or loft hatch open at home all winter?"

In deepest coldest Staffordshire, we leave our Association apairy varroa baords in and tape up the entrances below them to prevent wind entry. No matchsticks either.

Bees have appeared to survive for some 30 odd years like that.
Mind you we get cold winters and bees here have hairs on their chests..

Soooooooooooo many threads about this.
General consensus is open floor,adequate stores,crown board,insulation and roof.
No holes,no matchsticks.

i've changed the roof and cant see any obvious places in the BB which could be letting water in.... Will have a good look next time i inspect.

you could try putting an empty super under the floor to reduce chilling of the floor. (favoured by the leading light of our local assoc)

If you want to go further put some oopen mesh under the super.

Latest posts

Back