Oman beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My internet security flagged up a trojan program on the website. Heur:exploit script blocker, whatever that means.

Oh what memories that little clip evoked! The smell of the hot sand.....the sounds at the souk in Muscat and the fish on the stones ...spread out to choose from. Wending our way through the narrow paths of the market. I lived there for 2 years before the country was opened to visitors. I worked for the Petroleum Development of Oman...PDO....in the medical centre. I learnt to speak some Arabic ...to communicate with patients from the interior. I was invited to the Omani homes....my children played with their children. Oh it was such a special time. The country is truly beautiful. Going to State occasions or sitting on the floor of huts....the Omanis always made us feel welcome. Offering honeyed dates....and it was here I first had honeyed lamb...and goat. Even now I find it difficult not to dip shredded lamb in the honey instead of the traditional mint sauce!
Thank you so much

Tremyfro sounds amazing. Will need to look up honeyed lamb seems delicious.

Omani Honey.

Lived in Oman for 10 years, the photos and the article bring it flooding back. The Omani's use a lot of honey in many ways, most of it is imported and very cheap. That is until you try to buy Omani honey, which is either given to special friends or sold at around £100 a kilo! Luckily I was given some, a very nice unique taste. Unfortunately was not into beekeeping then, but visited Rustaq on many occasions. An amazing country made more so by the people.

Hear hear...I loved it there and would have stayed...but duty called! We had friends with bees so we were lucky.
Mutton or goat...cooked in a pit overnight. It had a crust of spicy herbs. A bowl of honey to dip the meat in and homemade pitta breads to wrap it up with salad leaves...yummy. The floral notes of the honey stayed in your mouth over and above the spices.
I did a lot of painting there and visited lots of wonderful places.
The Omani people are very friendly and very special.

A lovely country with great people. Very fond memories of my time there, it's a pity I don't get the chance to go back very often.

I was in Oman last and picked up a couple of pots of the local honey - delicious :)

Resurrecting an old thread, we were in Oman in Feb/Mar '16, talking to local suppliers, mostly around Bahla and Jebal Shams...

Concur with everyone else - the Omanis are special people - completely different to the UAE - just lovely.

I'm now based in Dubai and have had to put my bees into the care of my local group back in the UK - If anyone has contacts in the Omani or UAE beekeeping world that they'd be willing to share, I'd be really grateful - Now I'm in the area, I'd love to take the oportunity to get more involved.

Cheers

Nick

Oh what memories that little clip evoked! The smell of the hot sand.....the sounds at the souk in Muscat and the fish on the stones ...spread out to choose from. Wending our way through the narrow paths of the market. I lived there for 2 years before the country was opened to visitors. I worked for the Petroleum Development of Oman...PDO....in the medical centre. I learnt to speak some Arabic ...to communicate with patients from the interior. I was invited to the Omani homes....my children played with their children. Oh it was such a special time. The country is truly beautiful. Going to State occasions or sitting on the floor of huts....the Omanis always made us feel welcome. Offering honeyed dates....and it was here I first had honeyed lamb...and goat. Even now I find it difficult not to dip shredded lamb in the honey instead of the traditional mint sauce!
Thank you so much

Lamb.......? Our experience over a few p/t years in Turkey: 'lamb' = goat; 'beef' = old goat........

Latest posts

Back