Olympic Opening Ceremony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddiespangle

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I don’t want to spoil the surprise for anyone but look out for a collection of beehives in this evening’s Olympic Opening Ceremony.

At the risk of sounding negative who in goodness sake's name decided that a 9pm kick off was a sensible move?

I don't suppose that big business and the North American market had anything to do with it?

PH

Personally, I'm boycotting anything to do with this farse.

1st reason - sponsorship being allowed to treat small businesses in an apalling manner and treating us like sheep ripe for the milking. Not to mention the fact that the sponsors make the whole thing seem totally ironic and false.

2nd reason - The total waste of existing assets that could be utilised nationwide such as the 'olympic' swimming pool in Sheffield which would be more patriotic and in the spirit of the games in favour of having nearly everything in London which is costing a pointless fortune.

3rd reason - It is just plain, mind melting, agonisingly dull and boring.:rolleyes:

At the risk of sounding negative who in goodness sake's name decided that a 9pm kick off was a sensible move?

I don't suppose that big business and the North American market had anything to do with it?

PH

Apparently 9pm or there about is the norm for opening ceremonies, something to do with it needing to be dark to be able to light the ceremony properly.

2nd reason - The total waste of existing assets that could be utilised nationwide such as the 'olympic' swimming pool in Sheffield which would be more patriotic and in the spirit of the games in favour of having nearly everything in London which is costing a pointless fortune.

:iagree:

Just look at the shooting - we have a world class facility at Bisley that could have been improved and left as a legacy. Instead they are spending a fortune to build it in Woolwich Barracks and then take it down again... madness.

Bah humbug.:rolleyes:

I'm feeling quite patriotic.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb8fqxOdhn8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb8fqxOdhn8[/ame]

Chris

Actually the Ceremony starts at 20:12 this evening and tickets holders are warned to be in their seats by 19:30!

It's only the tv coverage that starts at 21:00!!

Well I was going to go and watch, having a pass that allows me to, but the TV client I am working for just decided to do a 'Live' on top of a building outside Olympic Park over looking the stadium!
Which means I have to work instead!!! :(

I'm just not interested - I shall spend the next few weeks trying to avoid the TV...Radio...internet sport...car radio...getting teh picture??

I'm just not interested - I shall spend the next few weeks trying to avoid the TV...Radio...internet sport...car radio...getting teh picture??

I don't watch tv anyway so I'm not about to break my habit for people running, jumping and throwing stuff. I can watch my 3 year old nephew do that with much more satisfaction.:)

+1

I have to say that so far it's unclear if it's in the UK or the USA judging by the coverage. It would be good to see them speaking to some other Nationalities, let's face it, most Europeans speak better English than Americans.

Chris

let's face it said:
You dont know the half of it....I cant even understand us half the time

Last edited:

What's wrong with you.... Be proud of your country, be proud of our athletes, watch and cheer for them........ I can't believe you can be so dismissive. Once in your lifetime..... Oh well, be happy in your own world!
:party-smiley-050:

I'm with Queens 59 - I'll be avoiding the whole sad "sponsored by some of the most evil companies on the planet" spectacle.

I think the sponsorship debacle sums up a lot that's wrong with this country - a depraved government selling us out to amoral multinationals, with nary a thought to the damage they wreak - I'd be deeply ashamed to be associated with most of them, particularly Dow Chemical (Bhopal and agent orange), Coke, Macd (who's "fries" cannot legally even be called "chips"), Adidas (sweatshops), BP (wholesale despoilation of the planet...........)

There's thankfully some "new" Swedish Wallander on TV tomorrow, and I may even sample some ITV, blow the cobwebs out of the hifi, and do a lot of reading, dog walking, gardening etc.

Must confess I was going to avoid the opening stuff tonight, but have decided that they've spent a fortune of our money on it, so following some rave reviews of the rehearsal will cast an eye over it (with a finger hovering over the channel switch for when such horrors as Coldplay, Elton John, "Macca" or the totally odious smarmball Coe hove into view........)

Last edited:
Yeah, you're right Bros but no Country is any different. Of course the world is a shite place with crappy corporations dominating the food chain and being served by slimy politicians, (well, corporations not quite at the top but they concentrate the wealth for harvesting). All that aside it does provide an opportunity for some light relief for a lot of people in troubled times.

Chris

If it gets us out of the recession all well and good but I very much doubt it, probably push us further in to it. Why cant they do something great for Britain not only for England .

I don't watch tv anyway so I'm not about to break my habit for people running, jumping and throwing stuff. I can watch my 3 year old nephew do that with much more satisfaction.:)

Why didnt you just ignore it then? You miserable curmudgeonly old git!

there are sheep in the Olympic stadium :eek: are they doing sheep dog Olympics this year..........:nature-smiley-016:

Latest posts

Back