Oldie

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwibees

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I’ve been beekeeping for nearly 30 years, the first 10 of them in UK before it was a ‘thing’. Before moving to New Zealand I was chairman of the Guildford BBKA for a while. Anyone really keen to find out what I’ve been doing can catch up with some of it at Beyond Bee Books. The archived 'Letter from New Zealand' series might be interesting for some of you. Mainly I’ll lurk for a bit and try not to mix up UK and NZ forums.
Wonder if I'll find any old friends?

I think there was a member back in the 80s that went to NZ is that you?

Well, I was a member of many things, but I left for NZ in 2003, so no, not that member.

Hello Kiwibees
I assume from your link that you live and work in The Bay Of Plenty. I spent a lot of my childhood living in Mount Maunganui and I often think that if I was there now my beekeeping would be a damn sight easier than in the cold wind swept Island’s where I now live!

@lindsay s correct. Kiwifruit central. I suppose the grass is always greener etc, but I think, as a hobby, you have it easy in the UK. On the other hand, more for the commercial, sure.
Don't worry about the weather, I have done my share in the rain and just follow Billy Connolly's advice.

Hello Kiwibees
I assume from your link that you live and work in The Bay Of Plenty. I spent a lot of my childhood living in Mount Maunganui and I often think that if I was there now my beekeeping would be a damn sight easier than in the cold wind swept Island’s where I now live!
I worked on a bee farm in Te Puke for a season, remember mount maunganui well, a good place for surfing and drinking after work.
Te Puke had a giant plastic kiwi fruit as a sign as you drove into town.
Giant_kiwifruit_at_Te_Puke_Kiwi_360_-_green_side_portrait.jpg

Latest posts

Back