Old hive with woodworm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
So my Dad found his old hive in the barn today and it seems to have been infested with wood worms and potentially wax moths. I am not sure if the pests are still in the wood as the hive has been left alone for 7 years.

Is there any way that I could treat the wood to ensure that both the worms and moths are removed?
Should I steer away from using this hive altogether?

I saw somewhere that you can put wood in a freezer for weeks which kills woodworm, not sure if this is true though.
Might painting the outside of the hive help, or maybe scorching and scraping?

Thanks for your help

Here are some pictures of the damage, sorry for the images being so huge, don't know how to resize them.

Scrapes/markings
bP561p4.jpg

Fresh or just undisturbed woodworm and sawdust
DyYDTYT.jpg
[/IMG]

Make good smoker fuel..

Effective woodworm killer treatments are long lasting, kill bees and leave wood full of soft wood with little structural strength.

Resized pictures

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 34A660FC-EB6E-47F7-B88A-4300B4A87C22.jpeg
    34A660FC-EB6E-47F7-B88A-4300B4A87C22.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 2199345B-F228-468A-8683-5D90756A3C12.jpeg
    2199345B-F228-468A-8683-5D90756A3C12.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 95
Old timers used creosote on their hives. It's a tough woodworm that can survive creosote. ��

You can pretty much coat a hive up with anything just restrict it to the outside bottom and top edges I do it regularly with anything that comes to hand in brown. My first choice is saddolin classics but that won’t touch the wood worm.

Yes, a week in a freezer will certainly kill woodworm. I suspect a week at minus 18 degrees C would kill any other insects too. If you can find a big enough freezer that is.

But isn't the most important issue the structure of the wood? Woodworm damage over the long term leaves wood weak and crumbly. Try putting it under some stress, you may find it breaks easily and will not be fit for purpose because it is too weak.

Try giving it some robust handling and satisfy yourself it will stand up to practical use before investing much effort in eliminating the woodworm.

Latest posts

Back