Old hive / new hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi I'm seeking some sage beekeeping advice. I have one strong colony in an old and decrepit National hive. I also have an empty top bar hive. Ideally I would like to have bees in both but I feel it is probably time to give my existing bess a new hive. The brood frames are very deformed and the bottom of the hive is a mess.
If I buy a new hive what should I do with the deformed frames if they have brood in them?If I pull the frames out it will break up much of the brood because some of the frames are joined. What is the best way of giving them a new home or should I just leave them alone seeing as they are so robust and maybe just tidy up the upper levels of the hive. And to populate my top bar, is there a good way to bait it for a swarm? Or should I buy a nucleus and if I do, is it a case of cutting up frames to fit into the top bar?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received

Nick

Best way to bait a hive? Put some fresh wax on the top bars, worth using a pheromone lure?

Back