Old bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have two hives. One of them has bees with what looks like a white stipe down their thorax. I‘m guessing it’s more to do with age than forage. Although some of them are returning with similar color in their pollen sacks most are returning with nectar. Are these just old bees?

Attachments

• 6662AAF4-9EA2-4B4F-9791-48E8DB3D1900.jpeg
    6662AAF4-9EA2-4B4F-9791-48E8DB3D1900.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 38
Yes, nothing to do with age, they're foraging on the Himalayan balsam. It's a plant hated by many, as it crowds out other plants, but after a bad summer a few years ago it was the plant that got my bees through the following winter. The balsam bashers ignore its virtues.

Yes, nothing to do with age, they're foraging on the Himalayan balsam. It's a plant hated by many, as it crowds out other plants, but after a bad summer a few years ago it was the plant that got my bees through the following winter. The balsam bashers ignore its virtues.
Great for cattle too. They love it.

There is plenty around where I live and the bees are indeed on it but they don’t seem to get much from it. Never had any significant honey from it.

Tim Rowe thought so, ten years ago.
But scientifically proven facts now prove they are not - other pollinators may be in decline, but the opposite is true of Honeybees - despite the best efforts of some 'beekeepers' 😁

But scientifically proven facts now prove they ar not - other pollinators may be in decline, but the opposite is true of Honeybees - despite the best efforts of some 'beekeepers' 😁

...I'm doing my best....every little helps. Just that I'm not sure which direction my bee-numbers are heading in. ;)

There is plenty around where I live and the bees are indeed on it but they don’t seem to get much from it. Never had any significant honey from it.
last time I had any honey off it was about ten years ago - a lot more of it around now but little measurable income

I love Himalayan Balsam. As already mentioned, it provides extra forage well in to the late autumn. There is a lot growing around the canals and rivers of Birmingham and down at the farm. I do understand the ecological concerns that some people have. However it is worth remembering that Darwin pointed out that the strongest of any species will often prevail, at the expense of 'weaker' rivals. I know that it was a human introduced plant, but there are many others that are now counted as 'natural.' It must be nearly autumn, as my bees are now coming back looking like they've been sprinkled with flour. o_O

Latest posts

Back