Old Abelo hive ventilation holes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowena

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, just bought myself an old style 14 x 12 Abelo hive and have a few queries regarding the 5 ventilation holes in the crown board. I have an English feeder on at the moment utilising the central hole but am not so sure as to if I need to seal up all the holes with the supplied bungs during the winter and only open them up when putting any fondant on, or are people finding that some level of additional ventilation is useful ?

Any help info would be appreciated as I don’t know anyone else with one. I have used Payne’s poly hives previously but wanted some thing that is totally interchangeable with timber nationals.

The only time you would need the ventilation that the five holes gives if you were to use it as a travel screen.

I screwed three screws to secure them or on some I cut the edges off the disk and silicone them in permanently.

I stuck the 4 corner poly plugs in place with a small blob of silicon diametrically opposite and left the central plug loose to allow a circular rapid feeder to be used. Having just a couple of dabs of silicon means I could if required open up without major trauma. Stops the discs falling about during inspections.

Brilliant thanks, I have to admit I was curious as to what 5 would ever be used for..

The only time you would need the ventilation that the five holes gives if you were to use it as a travel screen.

I screwed three screws to secure them or on some I cut the edges off the disk and silicone them in permanently.
Yes, could be very useful moving hives if the travel screen is a bit OTT.

Back