ok to eat commercial foundation?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angeJ

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is comb ok to eat if the foundation came from a bee equipment supply company rather than built by the bees? I have a very small surplus to a full super, which is for the bees, which would probably get lost in extraction.

I think it's only clean rendered beeswax anyway isn't it - mine wasn't the premier just the standard sheets

Is comb ok to eat if the foundation came from a bee equipment supply company rather than built by the bees?
It should be perfectly (human) edible -- except for any reinforcing wire!

For cut comb production (where the wax is intended to be eaten), the same wax is used. BUT you would buy it in the "thin, unwired" configuration.

If cut comb is the intended aim you couldn't do better than thin unwired foundation.
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but I was thinking of going with only a 1" starter strip on the brood frames next year as I don't expect to be putting them in an extractor. I was a bit concerned that if I did the same for the supers, they may not be strong enough to withstand extraction.

I'm a total novice but I have read that that non wired foundation (bee built or not) is much more likely to collapse in extraction

I don't understand why people pay more to get wax stuck in teeth. I would understand if it was the cheaper option to the more labour intensive to produce jar honey

Main reason as I see it is the honey is untouched. One of my customers found the honey in cut comb more intensely flavoured than the jars. Same batch of honey btw.

I don't understand why people pay more to get wax stuck in teeth. I would understand if it was the cheaper option to the more labour intensive to produce jar honey

I heard from my Polish workmate that some countries water down their honey to make more money, therefore cut comb is preferred as it cannot be tampered with, 100% honey-wax as nature intended so to speak,

I'm a total novice but I have read that that non wired foundation (bee built or not) is much more likely to collapse in extraction

Not much.
I have non wired super frames, bee built and from thin foundation that have failed the cut comb test and have been spun out, (they actually get stronger every year)
You should spin carefully remembering that if you have a tangential extractor the first spin will try to push honey from full cells through to the other side.
I've never blown an unwired frame, husband, on the other hand, destroyed a whole extractor full of wired frames.

I use one thin non wired foundation in each super. That becomes my chunk for chunk honey if I want it or a bit of comb if I want that. The rest of the frames in the super are normal wired for extraction.
E

Latest posts

Back