OK Idiot question - patience needed or don't click!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are only about 70 degrees if the sugar is cold; then depends on how much extra energy you are adding - large gas ring and a teacup, or a preserving pan over a candle!

It will be OK.

Regards, RAB

Thanks all - made up the feed today, and ended just a bit short...but happy bees - and I didn't have to do it individually with a teaspoon!!

but we all know you'd rather do it with a teaspoon, lining up the little bees one by one. Just not enough time in the world lol

Right first - take a deep breath and remember I take morphine on a regular basis and can't think properly...

I have a 5 litre rapid feeder...what proportion of sugar to water do I need to fill it? 1:1 was easy but brain has frozen and need to feed tomorrow...

Thankyou to all those who a)read b) understand c) answer...

Sarah:chillpill:

Beecraft in Sept 2008 did a good article on feeding. It did calculations in both Lb and Kg. Ill keep it simple though directly from the article, it is how I make my syrup up though.

B&Q sell 12 L buckets for around £1 I have a couple for making my syrup up in.

For light syrup put 3Kg in bucket and top liquid up to 5 L.

For winter feeding put 4Kg in bucket and top liquid up to 5L.

Hope this helps bee-smillie

Guess what is being printed off and kept in my honey shed??? Thanks Frogdogdiver - that seems totally idiot proof...eg. ME!!

As long as you don't mis-interpret those instructions. The winter feeding is not 4 kg of sugar and 5 l of water. I know it doesn't say that but it could be mis-read. Put 4 kg of sugar in the bucket and top up with water until the mix reaches the 5 l mark.

The other way is to mix equal volumes of sugar and water. So put sugar into bucket until it reaches say the 5 l mark. Tip out the sugar into another container and then fill the bucket with water to the same 5 l mark. Mix both together. If you have two suitable containers the equal volumes rule is perhaps easiest to remember for winter feeding. For spring feeding mix equal weights together. That is one kg of sugar with 1 l water, which also weighs 1 kg*

* Near enough for beekeeping.

* Near enough for beekeeping.

Near enough for nearly everything apart from PhD level or even higher.

Yes, strictly speaking one decimetre cubed; but only a difference in about the sixth significant figure! Parts per million is not on the scale of beekeepers' preparations accuracy!!

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back