OK Idiot question - patience needed or don't click!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
Right first - take a deep breath and remember I take morphine on a regular basis and can't think properly...

I have a 5 litre rapid feeder...what proportion of sugar to water do I need to fill it? 1:1 was easy but brain has frozen and need to feed tomorrow...

Thankyou to all those who a)read b) understand c) answer...

Sarah:chillpill:

Theres a point...is it one bag per one litre? I'm sure I saw an old beekeeping video saying this. I will be interested to see the answer.

Oh, and queens, I totally understand lol ;)

One 1kg bag to half a litre is the mix for this time of year :)
This = 2 to 1 which is the Autumn/Winter strength.

John Wilkinson

If you are winter feeding then the proportions are 2Kg of sugar in 1 litre of water. I should think that 8Kg dissolved in 4litres of water should fill your 5 litre feeder.

If you want to feed 2:1 then it would be 2 (1kg) bags to 1 ltr of water - so for 5 ltrs it will be 10 bags. This will make up more than 5 ltr volume so will be more than you need to fill feeder. You can save extra and add later especially if you add thymol. If you don't want any left over 8 bags to 4 ltrs of water will make less than 5 ltrs but should nearly fill it. Hope this helps

sorry to post same info as erichalfbee - much slower typer!

Last edited:
but dont use boiling water as it raises the HMF levels....

Large piece of a thread here last week was on about a 2 litre coke bottle not quite holding 3 kg of syrup (volume of 2 1/4 litre!) So 4 kg sugar should near-fill you feeder with about half a litre to spare.

Pro rata it if you want to fill it brim full. Assuming 2:1 here.

Regards, RAB

Large piece of a thread here last week was on about a 2 litre coke bottle not quite holding 3 kg of syrup (volume of 2 1/4 litre!) So 4 kg sugar should near-fill you feeder with about half a litre to spare.

Pro rata it if you want to fill it brim full. Assuming 2:1 here.

Regards, RAB

agree, it was me who posted the error,senior moment,,,,,:eek: trying to get a quart into a pint pot,

but dont use boiling water as it raises the HMF levels....

If you add that amount of sugar to boiling water off the heat then the temperature drops rapidly on adding...that equates to zero risk. And no need to wait before trundling over the lane here to the hives. HMF is a continued boiling issue? So much confusion on sugar science :(.

HMF is a continued boiling issue? So much confusion on sugar science :(.

I AM confused by this. :confused::confused:
How on earth does one make fondant without boiling?
I was going to make my own but got some Neopoll from Rooftops instead.

Hell, I'm sure this has been covered umpteen times so I'll just :leaving:

Don't worry, some are easily confused into thinking 12 or 15kg of sugar syrup will (almost) go into a 5 litre feeder!

Maybe the larger manufacturers save on energy by applying a negative pressure to the dissolution vats and, while not preventing boiling, can do the necessary water reduction quickly and at a much reduced temperature!

RAB

Maybe the larger manufacturers save on energy by applying a negative pressure to the dissolution vats and, while not preventing boiling, can do the necessary water reduction quickly and at a much reduced temperature!

RAB

Ah, makes sense. Perhaps I could make my own fondant up a mountain somewhere :biggrinjester:

Ok adding to confusion earlier post mentioned winter feeding syrup??? didnt think you were ment to do this? I was told if I needed to feed in winter then use bakers fondant not liquid as it can give the bees disentry?

Queens59
I have just made up 1Kg sugar in 1 litre of water and the final volume was just about 1600ml so 3kg of sugar would give you 4.8 litres, just short of your 5 litres.

Queens59
I have just made up 1Kg sugar in 1 litre of water and the final volume was just about 1600ml so 3kg of sugar would give you 4.8 litres, just short of your 5 litres.

i'm going to make a note of that :D

just short of your 5 litres.

Yes for 1:1, but I thought the original post was for likely for 2:1?:)

Now we could all be confused. Some replies would have made enough for 3 fillings and some spare!

Regards, RAB

Thanks all - made up the feed today, and ended just a bit short...but happy bees - and I didn't have to do it individually with a teaspoon!!

Oh heck
I use boiling water, then keep it heating for a minute or two while it disolves then stick it in a sink full of cold water to cool it faster.
I am also doing 2 kg sugar to 1 litre of water ( I thought that was the autumn ratio)
Is it really bad for them?
Clare

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back