Oil seed rape crop

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martyn

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I went for a walk last Saturday (15th Nov) in south Lincolnshire and was amazed to see what looked like a field of oil seed rape in full bloom. Can anyone shed any light on this?

No this is not OSR it is mustard sown as a green manure crop. It will be ploughed in before the next crop is planted. There has been other thread about this over the last month.

The other possibility is that the field was used for rape this year and has been left fallow since it was harvested and rape has regrown and the farmer has neither herbicided or ploughed in yet. We have a few fields like that around us.

OSR requires a period of vernalisation (cold period) to initiate flowering. It could be charlock flowering in the crop of OSR.

Maip wyllt, wild turnips( I think). Often germinate on mass when soil is turned over.

Only two weeks ago looking at swathes of OSR where ground had been recently turned.

All sorts of plants still in bloom that should be long gone over .... incredible year. Only looking at a video on my phone of 1st December 2010 when we had 2 foot of snow.... now that is tempting fate ehh. :)

December 2010 when we had 2 foot of snow.... now that is tempting fate ehh

Look up the very recent weather for a lot of the US. Sudden drop to zero (C?) or below and over a metre of snow on the eastern side...... Coud be coming this way!

Latest posts

Back