Oh sugar!......it happens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliver90owner

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Hive entrances down to the minimum, need a hose pipe spray to send them back home!

Looked through the colonies in the garden this am and removed a couple supers; covered them over with an upturned floor meaning to go back with an entrance block to keep the bees out......you've guessed - I forgot!

Next time in the garden thought 'that's early for orientation flights - but the weather is changeable, so they might be a bit early.

Then noticed the bees extracting the supers for me.... and redistributing back to three colonies. Ho, hum, they will get over it, I hope. Just have to keep an eye on them (the better one)!

The other is half-closed from a sting (well above my eyebrow, on Monday). Been walking up and down my garden, with no stings, all year and just went to observe an out-colony, from a distance, along a dyke bank and got bombed without any warning. May have been down to it being nudged with a flail mower, by the next-door farmer (and then nudged back into position) while mowing the dyke banks. He told me, when I stopped for a chat, but that was after the event!

RAB

cazza,

I was waiting for a reply like that. Not surprised it came from you.

Yep, I am perfect. I am right, and the other 6 billion are all wrong! That is my story and I'm sticking to it. First time today of ever getting it wrong!! -err, I think; or I have a very short memory....

Nah, the internet was not so helpful (as it is today) when I started. Made a few mistakes and learned pretty quickly from those.

Now know enough to stand back and think before doing something irreversible. Having a few colonies does make things so much easier....there is usually a valid reason why something occurs and an obvious route out of the trouble, just needs the real facts sorting from the 'chaff'.

I never want to do anything without working through the options first. Slows down designs and scraps quite a lot of ideas at an early stage.

Anyhow, they have calmed down now, just a few bees around the supers. I will move them later. No real harm done (I hope); no robbing elsewhere.

And the sting - only about ten (or less) - so far - this season; I swell quite a bit, so am usually fairly careful.

Regards, RAB

After I stopped laughing, you took the words right out of my mouth Cazza !!!

RAB it's nice to see the experts fail occasionally.

You forgot your own mantra EVIDENCE, EVIDENCE, EVIDENCE.

Never had the experience yet of REALLY stroppy bees mine (single hive, probably Italian bees but not sure) are really calm. Going to requeen next year to try and make sure they don't misbehave.

Lets have more of these confessions RAB!!!

I can assure you these bees are not 'really stroppy'.

Not even in the same order!

Regards, RAB

I must admit it is nice to know that even the experts we newbees rely on can make the odd boob!

Making a mistake is one thing; getting round it is easily is the important bit. Things are always likely to go wrong - whether it be me or them! Sorting it with minimum hassle is where the previous experience enters the equation.

They are back to normal, no robbing.

The eye - doesn't particularly bother me; OK, a bit of a nuisance with the specs but it will return to normal shortly......

Regards, RAB

Glad I'm not the only one who swell stupidly! Swelling is a total pain isn't it? Got stung on the leg Sunday - could walk Monday - Elephant Woman Tuesday. One foot in size 6 slipper, one in size 10...F-in-L says I should keep chickens instead...just need to remove the restrictive covenant then...

We have a hive of really stroppy bees at N Staffs Apiary. Even the bare handed experienced beekeeper gives up and wears gloves when he is stung 10 times in the first 30 seconds.. Last Saturday I was stung on the neck by one- just roaming around looking for a human to molest.

And even they can be good natured when it's warm and a flow is on..

Now know enough to stand back and think before doing something irreversible........ I never want to do anything without working through the options first.

Wise words...my 3rd rule of beekeeping is also "look before you leap."

Hope your eye is going down.
Cazza

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back