Oh No! It's spreading!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
After seeing the recent thread about Somerset beekeepers and the entreatment to open the feed holes to allow a roaring gale to 'ventilate' the hive, I was absolutely horrified when, today, I found a spare half hour to read the WBKA Magazine Autumn edition and read a piece titled 'Tasks: November to December where the writer - in the same breath as asking us to consider whether we need to insulate our roofs she tells the reader to ensure the feeder holes are open to ensure adequate 'ventilation' and ' to look down to check the amount of stores' :banghead:
What on earth is going on?
Further on in the magazine there was also mention of using open feeding to clear ivy honey from stores frames :):unsure::oops:) and even a piece on uniting colonies which entails moving hives step by step over a period of time to get them side by side for uniting.
a few of us have had misgivings on the quality of the publication for a while, but now I think it's teetering on the edge of the point of no return.

Last edited:
If I wouldn’t hear of the Plymouth drug bust, I’d say they’re high on something. Or maybe it’s the previous shipments?

If I wouldn’t hear of the Plymouth drug bust, I’d say they’re high on something. Or maybe it’s the previous shipments?
My old boat that, glad to see the boys are still bringing in the jobs despite all the obstacles put in their way.

After seeing the recent thread about Somerset beekeepers and the entreatment to open the feed holes to allow a roaring gale to 'ventilate' the hive, I was absolutely horrified when, today, I found a spare half hour to read the WBKA Magazine Autumn edition and read a piece titled 'Tasks: November to December where the writer - in the same breath as asking us to consider whether we need to insulate our roofs she tells the reader to ensure the feeder holes are open to ensure adequate 'ventilation' and ' to look down to check the amount of stores' :banghead:
What on earth is going on?
Further on in the magazine there was also mention of using open feeding to clear ivy honey from stores frames :):unsure::oops:) and even a piece on uniting colonies which entails moving hives step by step over a period of time to get them side by side for uniting.
a few of us have had misgivings on the quality of the publication for a while, but now I think it's teetering on the edge of the point of no return.
If that is indicative of editorial standards I wonder if the time has come to stop publication?

As a small publication on a limited budget I’m sure they need articles from jo blogs but can’t they get a half decent beekeeping editor to approve or bin the junk!

As a small publication on a limited budget I’m sure they need articles from jo blogs but can’t they get a half decent beekeeping editor to approve or bin the junk!
No - editors change with the seasons almost, noone has stuck it for long, for a while, until about a year ago it was pretty good but there has been some abysmally poor offering on there with (I think) the last editorial team, the magazine has been without an editor for a while since and this edition is the first for the new editor, personally I think he fell at the first fence.

Guess the difficulty is an editor who’s also a proficient beekeeper with his/her ear to the grapevine.

Guess the difficulty is an editor who’s also a proficient beekeeper with his/her ear to the grapevine.
If an editor is responsible for checking facts, spelling, grammar, and punctuation the real problem has to be deciding which "facts" are valid - not necessarily true or accurate in this case. Proficiency in the subject matter does not really seem to needed. ;)

It's typical of BBKA teaching and in some LBKA or area BKA's it is endemic.
Was the same with my LBKA feed holes left open A.Y.R. , I gave up trying to rationalise with them and to get them to see reason and haven't been back for some three years now and likely by BBKA will lapse from Xmas.

Volunteers for BKA jobs are usually thin on the ground but the worst decision is made when a Committee gives a job to someone because they're keen, but have no skills or experience in a particular field.

If that is indicative of editorial standards I wonder if the time has come to stop publication?
It is not just indicative of editorial content it is indicative of the governing bodies “ theory of everything” where one theory trips up the next when it is put into practice. Yes I do have an axe to grind before any suggests anything different :mad:

Volunteers for BKA jobs are usually thin on the ground but the worst decision is made when a Committee gives a job to someone because they're keen, but have no skills or experience in a particular field.
Or in the case of most of them they have nothing better to do, last man standing, been around for a long time, happy to be a yes man or women, could otherwise not run a ………………….. in a brewery, it makes me mad to see how much of the beekeepers hard earned money is just squandered by them, have a cull and bring in some new young talent. A bit like the turkeys voting for xmas it never going to happen.

Or in the case of most of them they have nothing better to do, last man standing, been around for a long time, happy to be a yes man or women, could otherwise not run a ………………….. in a brewery, it makes me mad to see how much of the beekeepers hard earned money is just squandered by them, have a cull and bring in some new young talent. A bit like the turkeys voting for xmas it never going to happen.
For years WBKA stood head and shoulders above the rest, but I have noticed in the last few years the insidious creep of BBKA doctrine with the 'importance' of having BBKA modules and the sudden appearance of 'master' beekeepers holding thrall.

Latest posts

Back