Oh dear.....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder does that plastic moon lander hive conform to any of the standard sizes.
Sounds like a load of nonsense.
Maybe it is a plastic box on legs which you can set a national inside.
Those Eglus were massively overpriced and unnecessary as well.

Someone has just seen another cash cow they can exploit (bees are in decline Do your bit to help). We are trying to control diseases etc... the new eco warriors/terrorists will not have a clue what to look for, or will it come with a ted hooper book to educate them (I think not). :banghead::icon_bs:

I have an Eglu and a cube in the garden from Omlete.

I spent a couple of evenings thinking how a blow mould hive could be made and gave it up as a bad idea so it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

The 2 guys that run the company came out of the London school of design like Dyson did.

When I had chooks in the garden I used a few posts and some chicken wire and the hen house was a hutch made out of a plastic skylight which I bought at an auction for £1.
It looked just like an Eglu to my untrained eye.

Jon,maybe you should of come and told my wife that.
She said her girls needed 5 star accomodation :(

The one thing that lets down the Omlet is lack of automatic door open/closer.

I built my own 5*+ coop with an electric door on a timer powered by a 12v battery with solar cell charging system:patriot:

For people like me that like a lay-in or even just weekends away it has serve me well thus far.

I am just dreading the number of swarm call outs next year :toetap05:. Still getting phone calls this week-

Heather.
I am still finding cells every week, most of which look like supersedure cells.
Roger P. is reporting that bees are now often swarming on supersedure cells even though the old queen should hang about.
Anyone taking holidays is likely to lose a swarm unless the queen is clipped and if it is a 3week holiday the first virgin out will probably leave regardless.

I am just dreading the number of swarm call outs next year :toetap05:. Still getting phone calls this week-

Imagine every other household with a bright orange plastic hive full of angry bees on a stormy night :) I am so glad we live in the countryside!!!

Jez

Hahahaha like them or loathe them, I'll guess theres more than a few people that wish they'd thought of the eglu!!!.

I quite like the Eglu cube and must admit I wouldnt mind having one down at the allotment.

It'll use National brood and super frames I'll bet (the eglu hive that is!!) or rather the Beehaus as I think its getting called

You're a miserable bunch, you lot!

The eglu is well designed; I expect the beehaus will be too.

We should welcome the newcomers, not close ranks snobbishly.

Compared to the rest of the world we are already rather well endowed with hives and frames. Do we really really need another one?

I think not myself.

PH

I posted on the other forum last year about them making a beelu - they mocked me but I'm now proved right!

Hello

I've been watching the thread with interest. I am a chicken keeper and Eglu owner (ducks for cover) and find it well designed and practical. I have endured the usual snobbery and ridicule from the Luddites in the chicken forum of which I am a member, many of whom have never actually seen an Eglu in the flesh ~ they just won't embrace any notion that deviates from their idea of the norm.
I also endured the derision of a chicken keeping friend when I ditched my wooden, traditional housing because of a red mite infestation. He this year has lost several chickens because of the same, and I have had to stop myself feeling quite smug ~ as his birds have died, unnecessarily.
Let's see what the Beehaus (hate the name) is like before offering criticisms. It might be spot on. It might be a load of rubbish It might need just a few tweaks.
I dare say the Poly Hive was greeted with snorts of ridicule and howls of laughter when it was first introduced. ~lol~
I have wanted to keep bees for a long time and am researching like mad. Am hunting for a course at the moment.
Anyone in the South Yorkshire area with advice for someone hoping to start out?

Hello Annie,my wife has a cube and an omlet.
She used to have a top of the range Forsham ark and says it it years away from her omlet products,so it will be interesting to see what they are like.

I have sent you a pm with a list of Beekeeping courses in Yorkshire,you will have to act fast to get on some of the early ones in 2010.

Back